March 11, 2019

Book Review: What Waits in the Woods by Kieran Scott

Title: What Waits in the Woods
Author: Kieran Scott
Copy Obtained: Purchases


About the Book from Goodreads
It's a beautiful, sunny day. Callie Velasquez holds hands with her boyfriend Jeremy as they follow Callie's new BFFs Penelope and Lissa up the trail. The four friends are embarking on a camping trip -- a trip that immediately goes awry. They lose their way on the trail, and encounter a charismatic stranger with questionable motives. And when Callie stumbles upon a dead body, it becomes clear that the danger that lies in the woods is deadlier than she could have ever imagined. Tensions mount and friendships are tested as these teenagers try to survive the most sinister of circumstances. 
One sentence review: Perfect mix of tension, mystery and a dash of "who do I trust?". 
Best for readers who: Like a book that keeps you guessing and trying to figure things out. 
Best Stick-with-You Image: When Callie wakes up in the middle of the night and hears something. So scary! 
Library Thoughts: We have this in the media center. I think it's perfect for fans of spooky books and books that keep you on the edge. I like that it's more YA but a younger middle school student could still ready it.

I really enjoyed this book. It was just a fun tension-filled read. I spent the entire book trying to find clues, put them together and figure out what was going on. I did figure out a few things before the characters (proud of myself for that!), but I didn't know it all. That I liked. Callie was a great character. She definitely showed growth and that was awesome. I like characters that grow and change. I will say that it did nothing for my thoughts about camping! I'm not a fan, and this didn't help that at all! Callie would wake up in the night and hear things - that's the part that always scares me! 

Well done.  Will be reading What Waits in the Water! 

No comments:

Post a Comment