March 28, 2019

Audio Book Review: People Like Us by Dana Mele - Read by Erin Spencer





Title: People Like Us
Author: Dana Mele
Narrator: Erin Spencer

Kay Donovan may have skeletons in her closet, but the past is past, and she's reinvented herself entirely. Now she's a star soccer player whose group of gorgeous friends run their private school with effortless popularity and acerbic wit. But when a girl's body is found in the lake, Kay's carefully constructed life begins to topple.

The dead girl has left Kay a computer-coded scavenger hunt, which, as it unravels, begins to implicate suspect after suspect, until Kay herself is in the crosshairs of a murder investigation. But if Kay's finally backed into a corner, she'll do what it takes to survive. Because at Bates Academy, the truth is something you make...not something that happened.
 


One sentence review: I'm still up in the air about whether I liked it or not. Lots of twists and lots of bird-walks. 

Longer thoughts: So seriously I don't know how I feel about this one. It was one of those books that I didn't know who to trust and who to believe (if anyone!). But also I had things figured out several chapters before the reveal. Ok, I had the big thing figured out not another detail that was yet to come out. I didn't like the main character, Kay. She was not a nice person and how she treated people was horrible. But I also didn't like any of the secondary characters. They were all rude and mean and self-centered. I found this so even for Nola the one girl that kinda befriends Kay as all this stuff is happening. So why did I keep reading then - I did want to find out what happened and who caused it. That part was interesting. And actually really interesting because I found myself wanting to get back to the story. But not at all because of the characters!  I just don't know in the end if finding all that out was enough to make me like the book a ton. And the reveal at the very end (yes like last two pages) didn't help that. I'll guess I'll go with - It had parts that kept me interested when the characters could've driven me away. 

Best stick-with-you image: Kay talking about her brother when he lost his life. 

Thoughts on the audiobook: Very well done.  Lots of voices to differentiate, and she did a great job! 


No comments:

Post a Comment