August 20, 2018

Book Review: Until Tomorrow, Mr. Marsworth by Sheila O'Connor

Title: Until Tomorrow, Mr. Marsworth
Author: Sheila O'Connor
Copy Obtained: From publisher for an honest review



Set against the backdrop of the Vietnam War, one young girl is determined to save her brother from the draft--and gets help from an unlikely source--in this middle-grade tale, perfect for fans of The Wednesday Wars 

When eleven-year-old Reenie Kelly's mother passes away, she and her brothers are shipped off to live with their grandmother. Adjusting to life in her parents' Midwestern hometown isn't easy, but once Reenie takes up a paper route with her older brother Dare, she has something she can look forward to. As they introduce themselves to every home on their route, Reenie's stumped by just one--the house belonging to Mr. Marsworth, the town recluse. When he doesn't answer his doorbell, Reenie begins to leave him letters. Slowly, the two become pen pals, striking up the most unlikely of friendships.

Through their letters, Reenie tells of her older brother Billy, who might enlist to fight in the Vietnam War. Reenie is desperate to stop him, and when Mr. Marsworth hears this, he knows he can't stand idly by. As a staunch pacifist, Mr. Marsworth offers to help Reenie. Together, they concoct a plan to keep Billy home, though Reenie doesn't know Mr. Marsworth's dedication to her cause goes far beyond his antiwar beliefs.

In this heartwarming piece of historical fiction, critically acclaimed author Sheila O'Connor delivers a tale of devotion, sacrifice, and family.



One sentence review: It took me a bit to get into it, but once I did I had to know what happened to Reenie, her family, and Mr. Marsworth. 
Best for readers who: Like historical fiction.  Also a good book for a child who has lost a parent or someone close to them. 
Best Stick-with-You Image: Any run-in Reenie has with Rat and Culter (two boys that bully her). 
Library Thoughts: I would get this for the library mainly because there are not that many books like it.  Yes, we have ones about that time period and the Vietnam War, but nothing like this.  Nothing from this viewpoint.  



I'm going to be honest.  Like I said above, it took me a bit to get into this book.  I'd read a bit and put it down for a while, and then pick it up again.  But slowly I wanted to know more and more.  I wanted to find out what was happening with Reenie and her family.  I really really wanted to know if Billy would end up going to college or not - or if he'd be drafted.  And I so wanted to learn more about Mr. Marsworth.  What was his full story?  How did he know Reenie's mom? Really I just started caring about them all.  I didn't want to them to be hated because of their view of the war, and I didn't want to see them bullied or picked on.  Although I got it - I got that during this time period what was shown was very realistic.  And I think that would be good for kids now to see and understand.  So much about our viewpoint of war and fighting since Vietnam, that I think it's important for kids to see how it once was.  

But that's not the only reason I think kids should read this book.  I love how it just shows a friendship between a kid and an adult.  You don't see that has often.  It's a positive example.  And what I like is that Reenie doesn't really change who or how she is with Mr. Marsworth.  I mean she does a little, but not too much.  She's just fully who she is and Mr. Marsworth, while trying to calm her down, does accept her for it.  And he supports her.  He listens and takes her seriously.  Love that! 

Do I think kids will like this book?  I do, but I fully admit it's not for every kid.  Some will really struggle with it fully told in letters.  Some will find it too slow.  But I know there is a chunk of kids I would recommend it to that will understand, learn from and enjoy it.  I will also be recommending it to the English teachers in my building for possible use as a class novel. 







1 comment:

  1. I have been hearing about this book. I like the idea of the relationship between a kid and an adult. You're right. That is rare. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete