November 14, 2016

Audio Book Review: Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi

Title:  Furthermore
Author: Tahereh Mafi

There are only three things that matter to twelve-year-old Alice Alexis Queensmeadow: Mother, who wouldn’t miss her; magic and color, which seem to elude her; and Father, who always loved her. The day Father disappears from Ferenwood he takes nothing but a ruler with him. But it’s been almost three years since then, and Alice is determined to find him. She loves her father even more than she loves adventure, and she’s about to embark on one to find the other.

But bringing Father home is no small matter. In order to find him she’ll have to travel through the mythical, dangerous land of Furthermore, where down can be up, paper is alive, and left can be both right and very, very wrong. It will take all of Alice's wits (and every limb she's got) to find Father and return home to Ferenwood in one piece. On her quest to find Father, Alice must first find herself—and hold fast to the magic of love in the face of loss.
 




This book was adorable and sweet and odd and fun and thought provoking.  Yes it was all that! I adored Alice - ok I admit there was a point where I was getting annoyed by her because she just wouldn't listen BUT they she turned a corner, and I loved the girl she became.  From the start I did feel for her.  Here she is - a girl with no color in a world that values color to the point of seeing it as currency.  She felt so different from anyone around her, and her one champion, her father, is gone.  I wanted to hug her.  As story progresses she goes from knowing herself, to doubting herself to being able to accept who she is and the gifts she has been given.  Wonderful transformation.

I also loved the world of Furthermore. As the story went along I was amazed over and over by Mafi's ability to create such a world! It helped that she described it such reach and unique language that it was almost painted before you.  Completely wonderful.  But I also liked that you never knew what to trust in the brilliant world of Furthermore.  It added this edge to the setting that also kept me, and Alice, on my toes.

My one small issue was the ending.  It ended kinda fast!  I guess I wanted just a bit more.  Not a huge deal but something to note.  

Audio Book Thoughts:  LOVED the narrator!  He did such a wonderful job.  His narration truly brought the world and Alice's story together.

A few weeks back I had the chance to meet Tahereh Mafi and Ransom Riggs.  I was super excited to hear she is going to write a companion novel to Furthermore! I cannot wait for it to come out!

In short:  Check it out. I hope you'll enjoy the world and Alice as much as I did.  
Best for: Kids who like books with magical worlds and a bit of topsy-turvy-ness.
Best stick-with-you image:  The paper fox and Alice's new dress. 




3 comments:

  1. How awesome you met Tahereh. This sounds like a fantastic story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been so unsure about this one! I didn't enjoy the Shatter Me series, but this book does look really unique. I may have to add this to my audiobook list since the narrator was awesome! Great review :D

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually had a totally different opinion and gave this a one star and I am in general not a one star reviewer. It takes 200+ pages to get to the fox, and it wasn't worth it.

      Delete