March 14, 2019

Unpopular Opinion Review: Caraval by Stephanie Garber

Title: Caraval
Author: Stephanie Garber
Copy Obtained: Purchased


About the Book from Goodreads
Remember, it’s only a game…

Scarlett Dragna has never left the tiny island where she and her sister, Tella, live with their powerful, and cruel, father. Now Scarlett’s father has arranged a marriage for her, and Scarlett thinks her dreams of seeing Caraval—the faraway, once-a-year performance where the audience participates in the show—are over.

But this year, Scarlett’s long-dreamt-of invitation finally arrives. With the help of a mysterious sailor, Tella whisks Scarlett away to the show. Only, as soon as they arrive, Tella is kidnapped by Caraval’s mastermind organizer, Legend. It turns out that this season’s Caraval revolves around Tella, and whoever finds her first is the winner.

Scarlett has been told that everything that happens during Caraval is only an elaborate performance. Nevertheless she becomes enmeshed in a game of love, heartbreak, and magic. And whether Caraval is real or not, Scarlett must find Tella before the five nights of the game are over or a dangerous domino effect of consequences will be set off, and her beloved sister will disappear forever.

Welcome, welcome to Caraval…beware of getting swept too far away.

One sentence review: Clearly not a book for me. I was confused and didn't care about the characters. 
Best for readers who: Like books that blur reality and fantasy
Best Stick-with-You Image: Not sure....
Library Thoughts: I probably won't put it in my middle school library, but if I was in high school I would

Super unpopular opinion, but this book just wasn't for me. I probably got about half way through and just gave up. I kept hoping it would get better, but it just didn't. My main issue - I didn't care about Scarlett at all. She annoyed me, I didn't find her realistic and I didn't care about anything that happened to her. It made me very frustrated that she knew Caraval isn't real but kept "forgetting" that. Also - I felt it meandered around too much and that made it hard for me to follow what was happening. So in the end, I just couldn't finish it. Sorry, all you that love it! I really really wanted to because I heard such great things about it! 

1 comment:

  1. You give some very clear, concise reasons for why you didn't like it and I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete