April 2, 2010

Friday's for the Guys - My Review of Fablehaven

I'm going back to my Friday's for the Guys post last week where I featured the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull.  I read the first book over the week, and now I'm ready to give my review :)

My Thoughts (summary of the book below)
This has been my year of introductions to series that have been around, but I hadn't read them.  The first was the Percy Jackson series and now Fablehaven.  For both of them I'm wondering why I hadn't read them before! I really enjoyed Fablehaven.  From the summary you know that Seth and Kendra's grandparents run a sanctuary for magical creatures, but I love how that still unfolds as a mystery. It was fun watching them see what was really surrounding them in their granpa's garden. I felt Kendra's awe when had her eyes opened.  Once they learn the truth the action takes off.  What I really like during the second half of the book is that, in turn, first Seth then Kendra have to show courage and determination.  It's great to see both a boy and a girl in strong rolls.  That also means I can "sell" the book to both my boy and girl students.  Also during this half my annoyance with Seth was gone as he stepped up and showed his strengths. 

This is a great series for all type of readers - reluctant readers will love the action and mystery.  Higher readers will enjoy trying to pull all the pieces together before the characters do.  As the series goes a long I think these two aspects will only become stronger.  It's clear that there is much more going on in the mystical world that what was shown in book one.  A secret society was discussed, so I see them playing a big roll in later books.  I can't wait to see what Kendra and Seth do in return.  Their's is a story I'm excited to follow. 

Final thought: Secrets, action and creatures - Oh my! :)
Best stick-with-you image: The fairies in the garden
Best for ages: 10+

Just in case you don't know the book here's the summary from Goodreads:
For centuries, mystical creatures of all description were gathered to a hidden refuge called Fablehaven to prevent their extinction. The sanctuary survives today as one of the last strongholds of true magic in a cynical world. Enchanting? Absolutely. Exciting? You bet. Safe? Well, actually, quite the opposite...



Kendra and her brother Seth have no idea their grandfather is the current caretaker of Fablehaven. Inside the gated woods, ancient laws give relative order among greedy trolls, mischievous satyrs, plotting witches, spiteful imps, and jealous fairies. However, when the rules get broken, an arcane evil is unleashed, forcing Kendra and Seth to face the greatest challenge of their lives. To save her family, Fablehaven, and perhaps the world, Kendra must find the courage to do what she fears most.

5 comments:

  1. I agree this book has lots of magical appeal. I didn't feel like it had enough mystery to really grab teen readers but for tweens, it is great. I'm interested to hear if you read the others your thoughts on those. I have only read the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read teh first two, but have enjoyed both. My dad, who's...well, ancient, can't stop reading them and is very pumped about the whole series. So, I think teens would enjoy it if they can get their heads out of something stupid like Gossip Girl long enough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh! And Ididn't mean to offend you if you like GG, I just meant....well, never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Raspberry! You didn't offend me at all. I understand what you were trying to say :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been meaning to read this for awhile now. We have the first one in my K-5 library, and I'm wondering if some of my fifth graders would enjoy it. I'm pretty sure I will. Thanks for reminding me to check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete