March 26, 2010

Friday's for the Guys - March 26 Fablehaven

Every Friday I highlight books and authors that are ones boys might really enjoy. I'm not saying girls wouldn't read these books, but they are clearly "guy" books.

This week I'm highlighting:
 Fablehaven by Brandon Mull
well the whole series actually :)

Now I'll be completely honest.  I haven't read this series, and only recently did it come to my attention.  BUT now that I've really looked into it, it sounds fantastic! For boys who love fantasy books this one is a winner.  Em over at Super Reader Girl's (I know girls not boys) Book Reviews did a great post about the series/last book.  It was fantastic and told me a lot of what I needed to know about the series.  You must check it out HERE!!!!!

Let me share a summary from Goodreads about the first book:
For centuries, mystical creatures of all description were gathered to a hidden refuge called Fablehaven to prevent their extinction. The sanctuary survives today as one of the last strongholds of true magic in a cynical world. Enchanting? Absolutely. Exciting? You bet. Safe? Well, actually, quite the opposite...



Kendra and her brother Seth have no idea their grandfather is the current caretaker of Fablehaven. Inside the gated woods, ancient laws give relative order among greedy trolls, mischievous satyrs, plotting witches, spiteful imps, and jealous fairies. However, when the rules get broken, an arcane evil is unleashed, forcing Kendra and Seth to face the greatest challenge of their lives. To save her family, Fablehaven, and perhaps the world, Kendra must find the courage to do what she fears most.

Doesn't that sound great?!?! Wanna know what I also like - that it shows a strong girl character as well as a strong boy one.  That's great to see. 
 
Here if that summary and Em's post aren't enough check out the trailer for the last book, Keys to the Demon Prison
 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. I've read the first book of this and it is great for middle grade readers. A really sweet and amusing fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this series. It's a fun one for all ages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is one of my very favorite series - love, love, love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the trailer--and I love the series. It is well written and very fun. I'd recommend it to anyone who loves fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard some great things about this series, but I haven't gotten around to picking them up. Thanks for bumping them up on my TBR pile! :D

    I discovered your blog on The Saturday Network.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore this series and I am currently reading the 4th book. I wait for them to come out in paperback since the first two were released that way and I hate when a publisher decided to switch formats in the middle of a series! GAH!

    This is one of those books, like Harry Potter, that will appeal to both girls and boys, although the books do seem to focus on Kendra most of the time but there are some cool action scenes that are less girly.

    Also, to be honest, I can't stand Seth. However I think he might just be growing up a little in this 4th book. I am already longing for next March when the 5th book will be out in pb!

    ReplyDelete