December 14, 2020

Audiobook Review: City Spies by James Ponti

 

Title: City Spies
Author: James Ponti
Read by: Lisa Flanagan
Genre: Mystery/Spy

About the Book
Sara Martinez is a hacker. She recently broke into the New York City foster care system to expose her foster parents as cheats and lawbreakers. However, instead of being hailed as a hero, Sara finds herself facing years in a juvenile detention facility and banned from using computers for the same stretch of time. Enter Mother, a British spy who not only gets Sara released from jail but also offers her a chance to make a home for herself within a secret MI6 agency.

Operating out of a base in Scotland, the City Spies are five kids from various parts of the world. When they’re not attending the local boarding school, they’re honing their unique skills, such as sleight of hand, breaking and entering, observation, and explosives. All of these allow them to go places in the world of espionage where adults can’t.

Before she knows what she’s doing, Sarah is heading to Paris for an international youth summit, hacking into a rival school’s computer to prevent them from winning a million euros, dangling thirty feet off the side of a building, and trying to stop a villain…all while navigating the complex dynamics of her new team.

My Thoughts

What a fun book! I loved it from the first few minutes I started listening. It had some action and tension so that kept me listening. I was hooked! And can I say that I really liked Sara (well all the kids). She was smart and funny, and I loved that she cared about others around her. She wasn't selfish even though the circumstances of her life could've led her to be. If I was her age I would want her has a friend! 

The other kids were great too. I liked that it didn't seem to be this huge rivalry between all them.  Yes there was teasing etc, but nothing that was cruel. I needed a book like that! 

About the reader - What a great job Lisa Flannagan did! Wow I could not have done all those accents! I loved it. I would definitely listen to another book read by her.

In the end - read if you like books that involve fun gadgets, tension and seeing a girl gain confidence in who she is and what she is capable of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment