November 8, 2018

Audiobook Review: Book Scavenger by Jennifer Chambliss Bertman





Title: Book Scavenger
Author: Jennifer Chambliss Bertman
Narrator: Jessica Almasy 

A hidden book. A found cipher. A game begins . . . .

Twelve-year-old Emily is on the move again. Her family is relocating to San Francisco, home of her literary idol: Garrison Griswold, creator of the online sensation Book Scavenger, a game where books are hidden all over the country and clues to find them are revealed through puzzles. But Emily soon learns that Griswold has been attacked and is in a coma, and no one knows anything about the epic new game he had been poised to launch. Then Emily and her new friend James discover an odd book, which they come to believe is from Griswold and leads to a valuable prize. But there are others on the hunt for this book, and Emily and James must race to solve the puzzles Griswold left behind before Griswold's attackers make them their next target.   

One sentence review: For book lovers, this is a fantastic book, but also a great story about leaning into your circumstances. 
Best stick-with-you image: The bookstore that James and Emily visit.  Wish I had one like it near me! 
Thoughts on the audiobook: Very well done.  Lots of voices to differentiate, and she did a great job! 
Final Thoughts: I've been selling this one to all my huge readers knowing they'd love the concept.  They have! 


My 12-year-old self LOVED this book.  It had everything I would've loved as a 12-year-old.  It had books! Lots and lots of books.  And it had a game where you hide and find books! AND it had a mystery.  All those pieces were fantastically fit together to make a fun story that had laughter, tension, mystery and just plain fun.  I've been reading some super serious books lately and it was so great to listen to this book and just have it for enjoyment.  Not to say there wasn't some seriousness in it.  Emily has a learn how to be a good friend, and she's struggling with accepting her families lifestyle.  Her family moves a ton because her parents are on a mission to live in all 50 states.  This had gotten hard on Emily.  So yes some bigger topics, but it's also just fun and enjoyable.  I loved trying to figure out everything with Emily and James.  It really pulled me into the story even more.  I had a few things figured out before them but not all.  

Can I just say that I loved the story part of the story with Emily's brother Matthew? He's pretty cool.  I really liked how he explained to Emily how he came to accept all their moving.  He talked about leaning into the experience and how he realized he'd miss things staying and moving.  It was a great perspective.  Plus I loved his obsession with a band named Flush. 

I did have an issue with the parents moving the kids around so much - especially as they got older.  It seemed selfish.  I will say that was address to my satisfaction.  Thankfully.

Great book that I'll continue to hand sell! 

No comments:

Post a Comment