June 26, 2017

Audio Review: Coraline by Neil Gaiman



Title: Coraline 
Author: Neil Gaiman
Narrator: Neil Gaiman
Coraline's often wondered what's behind the locked door in the drawing room. It reveals only a brick wall when she finally opens it, but when she tries again later, a passageway mysteriously appears. Coraline is surprised to find a flat decorated exactly like her own, but strangely different. And when she finds her "other" parents in this alternate world, they are much more interesting despite their creepy black button eyes. When they make it clear, however, that they want to make her theirs forever, Coraline begins a nightmarish game to rescue her real parents and three children imprisoned in a mirror. With only a bored-through stone and an aloof cat to help, Coraline confronts this harrowing task of escaping these monstrous creatures.


If you only have a second:  I can't believe I waited so long to read (listen) to this one!  

If you have a few minutes:  So yes I fully admit I was way behind the times in reading this one.  My daughter kept talking about how great it was, and we'd scare my husband telling him the premise of the book.  But it wasn't until recently that I finally read the book - well listened to it.  I loved it! It has that right mix of suspense and action and scariness that is just perfect.  As the reader I knew from the start to not trust these new parents, but of course Coraline didn't so that put me on edge right away!  I wanted to yell at her to run, run far far away but of course instead I had to watch her battle her way back.  

I loved Coraline the character as well. She was smart and brave, and I liked how she used her mind to figure out what to do in this situation.  Sometimes characters this age can get on my nerves, but she didn't at all.  Instead I was cheering for her! I knew she could figure things out.  I also knew that once through this experience she'd have a different attitude on her life back home.  

Lastly - loved the cat!  Wonderful addition to the cast of characters.  I kinda want him as my own! 

Thoughts on the audio book:  The audio book is narrated by Neil Gaiman himself, so that was really fun.  It was wonderful to hear him read it as he must have heard it in his head while writing it.  It made the story seem more authentic because I knew how Coraline said something was exactly as the author intended.  

Final thought:  If you haven't read this yet - do! 

No comments:

Post a Comment