I though that once a month - the first day of each month - I would post a discussion post just to get people posting and chatting a bit more.
This month I thought I'd talk about why I don't read. Yes, yes I know - I'm a book blogger so I should be reading all the time. The truth is - I LOVE to read, but I don't always read and there are many reasons why that is.
Here's just a few:
- I have three kids and they take up a bit of my time and attention!
- I work full time, so many days I get home, and I'm just too tired to read.
- I'm in school as well. I'm getting my school media specialist license, and I won't be done with that until 2017 some time. Now cool enough a few of my classes require that I read YA, MG or early chapter books so that helps BUT many don't. That means I have other homework to do, so that cuts into my reading time.
- I like to hang out with my husband and do things together. He completely knows that I love to read and would let me read all the time, but I happen to like going and doing things with him as well.
- I don't feel like it. Yup I said it. There are times were I really just don't feel like reading! I'm tired. My brain is gone. I just want to stare at the TV. All those things. Reading can be very emotionally draining for me because I really get inside a book, so sometimes I just don't have the energy to do that!
- I'm writing. I don't write as much as I'd like to either, but when I do that takes time away from my reading.
- I've just fnished an AMAZING book and don't have it in me to start another. You know - the whole book hangover thing. It's hard to pick up a new book when you just loved the book you finished.
- My TBR pile is huge and overwhelming at times, so I avoid it :)
That's all I have for now. The simple truth is - reading is not my end all - be all. It's something I love and enjoy BUT I don't have other parts of me. I'm wanting to run more, so that will cut into it as well (well unless I listen to audio books!). And the other truth - it doesn't bother me that I don't read 24/7 because I know that usually what I'm doing instead is important. My daughter is almost 17, so she won't be home too much longer. I'd rather chat with her than read! Would I like to read more? OF COURSE! But why beat myself up over something that can't change. Life is good. I still get time to read good books. I still get time to blog about them or talk to others about them, so it's good. It's really good.