October 2, 2015

Graphic Novel Review: The Stratford Zoo: Midnight Review Presents Macbeth by Ian Lendler and Zack Giallongo

This should've gone up Thursday but I already had posts I had promised to post!

This month I'm participating in a celebration of graphic novels.
My students love graphic novels, and I always feel like I should be reading more, so I can recommend more.
This month long celebration will help me do just that!


The month is being hosted by:
Franki Sibberson and Mary Lee Hahn of A Year of Reading
Alyson Beecher of KidLit Frenzy
Tammy Mulligan and Clare Landrigan of Assessment in Perspective


Each Thursday I'll post a review of a graphic novel.

Today it's:

The Stratford Zoo looks like a normal zoo... until the gates shut at night. That's when the animals come out of their cages to stage elaborate performances of Shakespeare's greatest works. They might not be the most accomplished thespians, but they've got what counts: heart. Also fangs, feathers, scales, and tails, in The Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue Presents Macbeth. 


I had to read this for a class I took this summer.  I wasn't sure what to think of it when I saw it was on the reading list, but I figured hey it's Shakespeare and I'm an English teacher so I'm sure it will be fun.  And it was! It was such a fun and silly retelling of Macbeth!  I mean the King keeps eating characters! Made me giggle.  If I was teaching Macbeth I would definitely use this to introduce the story.  Kids would find it funny, and then we could use it to talk about what the play is about and some of the themes they will see.

Since this celebration is looking at graphic novels I thought I'd comment on that aspect of the book. The graphics in this are fantastic - very bright and colorful with lots of details.  Now some people might not agree it's a graphic novel, and it's not the purest form of the genre, but I can't call it a picture book.  It's more like an introduction to the graphic novel format.  It would be a good starter book for someone who hasn't read a graphic novel before.  

The only hesitation I have - I'm not sure kids would pick it up to read on their own.  I think if it was book-talked and shared or read to them they would love it.  I'm just not sure it's one they'd run to on their own.  

Final thought - Fun book with great illustrations! 


1 comment:

  1. This looks like so much fun! One of my coworkers at my library told me to read it as well. I must make time to do so. :)

    ReplyDelete