Author: Suzanne Collins
When Gregor falls through a grate in the laundry room of his apartment building, he hurtles into the dark Underland, where spiders, rats, cockroaches coexist uneasily with humans. This world is on the brink of war, and Gregor's arrival is no accident. A prophecy foretells that Gregor has a role to play in the Underland's uncertain future. Gregor wants no part of it -- until he realizes it's the only way to solve the mystery of his father's disappearance. Reluctantly, Gregor embarks on a dangerous adventure that will change both him and the Underland forever.
So yes this book has been our for awhile. And yes I should've read it a long while ago. And yes my daughter has told me for years I should read it. And yes I'm glad I finally did!
I picked up this book, finally, a bit over a week ago and started reading. My son is in soccer and swimming lessons, so I've had a lot of sitting time to read (yes I'm the bad mom that reads instead of watches intently every second). I couldn't believe how quickly I was moving through the story. It was such a fast read!
Here's what I liked:
- I loved Gregor. He's sweet and brave and smart and he treats his little sister so well!
- It made me care about a cockroach! I mean how great must the book and writing be if I actually care about a cockroach!
- It's fast paced - no dragging things out
- I loved the Underworld. It was well created and described but I want to know more about it!
- It has heart. From Gregor's little sister Boots to the whole story about his father - it had heart and caring.
- It ended in a NON-cliffhanger! Yes there are more books in the series but I could stop here and not feel like I was left with a ton of unknowns.
Ok I think that about sums it up. If you like something with action and nice well-rounded characters I suggest you pick it up.