April 2, 2015

OWL Notes

Owl Notes is when I just want to share something reading/book related.  I might talk about reading habits, a new book I'm interested in, a movie based on a book.  Anything book related that I'm thinking about.  It's not reviews or author guest posts.  It's just something I feel like sharing!

I look around at books a lot.  I get newsletters about books, I wander Barnes and Noble, and I dig around on Amazon.
Recently in one newsletter I learned about the book:


About the book:

A heartfelt, humorous story of a teen boy’s impulsive road trip after the shock of his lifetime—told entirely in lists!

Darren hasn't had an easy year.

There was his parents’ divorce, which just so happened to come at the same time his older brother Nate left for college and his longtime best friend moved away. And of course there’s the whole not having a girlfriend thing.

Then one Thursday morning Darren's dad shows up at his house at 6 a.m. with a glazed chocolate doughnut and a revelation that turns Darren’s world inside out. In full freakout mode, Darren, in a totally un-Darren move, ditches school to go visit Nate. Barely twenty-four hours at Nate’s school makes everything much better or much worse—Darren has no idea. It might somehow be both. All he knows for sure is that in addition to trying to figure out why none of his family members are who they used to be, he’s now obsessed with a strangely amazing girl who showed up out of nowhere but then totally disappeared.

Told entirely in lists, Todd Hasak-Lowy's debut YA novel perfectly captures why having anything to do with anyone, including yourself, is:

1. painful
2. unavoidable
3. ridiculously complicated
4. possibly, hopefully the right thing after all.


Now I haven't read it, but I love the sound of it, and I love the idea of the entire novel being told in lists.  I like that because, as a writer, I'm always looking at different ways to tell me stories.  
The thought of telling the whole story this way just intrigues me! How do you help the reader care about the main character in just lists?  
How do you convey emotion?  
How does the plot play out?????
I'll be looking for this book!

So, anyways I just thought I'd share it. 

Here's the book trailer:

And if you go to the author's website you can learn more AND read and excerpt. 

3 comments:

  1. I am a list person. I love lists. I do. So I MUST read this book. I am 100% intrigued. I put it on hold at my library. Now I just have to wait. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also very intrigued when I read about this book. I'm really looking forward to reading it, and I just won a copy from Adventures in YA Publishing, so it should be soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd heard of this before and was intrigued. Haven't read it, but I love it when an author finds a unique way to tell his story.

    ReplyDelete