January 2, 2015

Review: Escape From Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein

TitleEscape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library
Author: Chris Grabenstein

         

Kyle Keeley is the class clown, popular with most kids, (if not the teachers), and an ardent fan of all games: board games, word games, and particularly video games. His hero, Luigi Lemoncello, the most notorious and creative gamemaker in the world, just so happens to be the genius behind the building of the new town library.

Lucky Kyle wins a coveted spot to be one of the first 12 kids in the library for an overnight of fun, food, and lots and lots of games. But when morning comes, the doors remain locked. Kyle and the other winners must solve every clue and every secret puzzle to find the hidden escape route. And the stakes are very high.

In this cross between Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and A Night in the Museum, Agatha Award winner Chris Grabenstein uses rib-tickling humor to create the perfect tale for his quirky characters. Old fans and new readers will become enthralled with the crafty twists and turns of this ultimate library experience.


This was a book I read awhile ago, so the review is really based on how much of it stuck with me! I liked this book especially for middle schoolers. It was fun! I loved the library they were in and wish it could be real!!! I know some reviewers had an issue with it because it seemed to put more focus on non-book stuff in the library than actual reading, but I didn't have that issue.  I thought if there was a real library like this at least kids would go inside and that's one step closer to getting them to read.  

Ok about the plot.  It was just fun, and I loved how the reader got to kind of guess along with the kids.  I stink at brainteasers, so I wasn't very good at all at figuring anything out.  But I had fun trying.  The plot also had several twists and turns so that was fun too.  It kept me entertained and guessing, and I could see it doing that for middle schoolers as well.  I actually had several kids read it and really enjoy it.

I like the characters in the book as well.  They weren't far off the base of real kids that age, so that was great.  I have a hard time with books that have middle schoolers I would NEVER find in any middle school.  I cheered for certain ones and laughed when others feel short.

Over-all it was a fun book that I would easily recommend.  

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait until The Island of Dr. Libris comes out in March, it sounds wonderful... "Celebrate the power of imagination with this action-packed adventure that shows that sometimes the real story starts after you close the book!" Such fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of this book! :D So glad you enjoyed it. I'm actually not familiar with the author nor the book itself, but I'll definitely give this a try if I see it someday. I love it when there are lots of twists in the plot. Makes it more interesting :)

    Jillian @ Jillian's Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a good one. I'll add it to my TBR list. Thanks for telling me about it.

    ReplyDelete