February 5, 2014

I Am Grateful For: Bomb

Bomb: The Race to Build - and Steal - The Word's Most Dangerous Weapon
Steve Sheinkin


One simple reason - this book showed me that nonfiction can be as good as fiction.  Something I never believed before this book.

In December of 1938, a chemist in a German laboratory made a shocking discovery: When placed next to radioactive material, a Uranium atom split in two. That simple discovery launched a scientific race that spanned 3 continents. In Great Britain and the United States, Soviet spies worked their way into the scientific community; in Norway, a commando force slipped behind enemy lines to attack German heavy-water manufacturing; and deep in the desert, one brilliant group of scientists was hidden away at a remote site at Los Alamos. This is the story of the plotting, the risk-taking, the deceit, and genius that created the world's most formidable weapon. This is the story of the atomic bomb.

2 comments:

  1. I wasn't too sure about this one when I got it in a scholastic book order at the beginning of the year, but it's been pretty popular. The kids seem to enjoy it and it's nonfiction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to find time to read this one. I've heard so much about it. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete