January 20, 2014

I Am Grateful For: When You Reach Me

When You Reach Me
Rebecca Stead



Now Twilight may have revived my reading life, but When You Reach Me reminded me how a great story can pull you in and totally consume you. This was the first book I've read that literally made me gasp out loud when I read a certain part. Absolutely amazing writing and construction of the plot. The Newbery was well deserved.

Four mysterious letters change Miranda’s world forever.

By sixth grade, Miranda and her best friend, Sal, know how to navigate their New York City neighborhood. They know where it’s safe to go, like the local grocery store, and they know whom to avoid, like the crazy guy on the corner.

But things start to unravel. Sal gets punched by a new kid for what seems like no reason, and he shuts Miranda out of his life. The apartment key that Miranda’s mom keeps hidden for emergencies is stolen. And then Miranda finds a mysterious note scrawled on a tiny slip of paper: 

I am coming to save your friend’s life, and my own.
 
I must ask two favors. First, you must write me a letter. 

The notes keep coming, and Miranda slowly realizes that whoever is leaving them knows all about her, including things that have not even happened yet. Each message brings her closer to believing that only she can prevent a tragic death. Until the final note makes her think she’s too late.

2 comments:

  1. I really loved this too. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a good book. I loved every word. Thanks for reminding me how good it is. Maybe one day I will find time to reread it.

    ReplyDelete