December 6, 2013

Book Review: Blue Moon by James Ponti


Don't miss out interview with the author James Ponti.  You can find it HERE.

Title: Blue Moon
Author: James Ponti
Genre: Horror/Zombie
Age: 9-12
Series: Dead City #2



Molly is ready for more nonstop, undead action in this follow-up to Dead City, which Kirkus Reviews described as “a fast-paced read for those who like their zombies with just a little fright.”
When Molly Bigelow discovered that zombies shared New York with humans, she didn’t think life could get more shocking. Then she learned that her mother was once one of the greatest zombie killers ever—and she discovered that her dead mother is not technically dead at all (although she isn’t alive, either).

Molly’s efforts to keep these secrets and to help her Omega team track down the identity of the original thirteen zombies will take her from the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade to New Year’s Eve in Times Square. Her loyalties to friends and family will be put to the test. And her life will be changed in ways she never could have imagined.

My Thoughts
So it's not secret to my students that I love zombie books (well and tv shows but don't get me started on The Walking Dead right now), so of course I needed to read and review the second book in the Dead City series.  For the record I LOVED the first book and literally yelled at the end of it because it left off in such a cliff hanger! Now the fear with that is that I won't like the second book as much.  I'm happy to report that I did like it!!!

What I liked was that, although this one was less zombie, it had much more of the back story about how the zombies started in the first place AND what they are up to now.  It was a big question for me in the first book - why are there zombies in New York? How did they start?  And the second book answers those questions.  I feel now like I really understand where this is all coming from and that's great because it adds another layer to the story, so it's not just zombie fighting.

I also liked the mystery aspect to the second book.  The Omega team Molly is part of is trying to figure out what the zombies are up to, and they need to piece together a lot of clues.  I loved how well they pieces all fit together.  I had several "a-ha" moments throughout the story.  And what was really great was that once again the ending totally caught me off guard! The pieces come together so well at the end, and I never saw it coming.  Well done Mr. Ponti with that!

Final thought: Wonderful sequel to a great middle grade zombie book.

PS - I do also love how James Ponti is weaving history/facts about New York throughout the whole story.  It just makes it seem that much more real! In this book there is a lot with the Thanksgiving/New Years events in New York.  I could pictures things easily because I knew those events!

No comments:

Post a Comment