May 7, 2012

Duel Review: Endure by Carrie Jones

Title: Endure (Need #4)
Author: Carrie Jones


Zara is at the center of an impending apocalypse. True, she’s successfully rescued Nick from Valhalla, but it simply isn’t enough. Evil pixies are ravaging Bedford, and they need much more than one great warrior; they need an army. Zara isn’t sure what her role is anymore. She’s not just fighting for her friends; she’s also a pixie queen. And to align her team of pixies with the humans she loves will be one of her greatest battles yet. Especially since she can’t even reconcile her growing feelings for her pixie king . . .


Sorry! I meant to get this up yesterday, but I'm putting my house on the market and had to do stuff with that!


Ok!!! Today I get to do a fun duel review with one of my students.  She loves this series as much as I do, so I thought it would be fun to compare our thoughts.

Why did you decide to pick up this book and read it?
Nicole: My KORT teacher recomended the first book and after reading it i was completely sucked into the series.


Me: I picked it up, or should I say danced around with it when it came in the mail, because I so loved the rest of the series and NEEDED to know what happened to Zara, Nick and mostly Astley.  

Did you like the book? Please explain why you liked it or not.
Nicole: I really liked reading Endure. It was such a roller coaster ride. Every time you thought you had it put together BAM something else comes along.


Me: Did I like it?  No. Nope.  Nah uh.  I LOVED IT!!!!! It was everything I wanted.  Full of action.  Seeing Zara accept her role and step up.  The way the other characters each seemed to shine in there own way.  It was fantastic.  The problem is, it's really hard to talk about why I liked it because I so don't want to give anything away.  Just like Nicole said it was a roller coaster ride, and if you know where that ride is going to take you it won't be as enjoyable.  And trust me it was enjoyable.  


What I really liked - is that it ended the series well.  You never ever know if you'll like how you'll leave the characters.  Will you be annoyed?  Angered?  I was so very satisfied to see how everything came together.  I really think it was a great end to the series.  

What part did you like the best and why?
Nicole: I loved the entire book! It all fit together so well you cant pick a favorite part.


Me: Oh goodness do I have to pick just one?? Honestly I think I loved every part where Zara realizes her strength and knows she can do this - lead even tho Astley is her king.  She can step out on her own and lead.  


I also loved all the scenes at Hel.  Fantastically done! The description of the place was so detailed.  I could clearly picture it all. Of course I can't tell you anything that happened there because that would give away things that you must learn on your own.  

Tell me what you thought of the main character(s). Did you like him/her/them? Did you like how they acted/reacted to events in the story?
Nicole: I had mixed feelings about the main characters in this book. In the first three books you get so used to the way Zara and Nick act together, but in this book its completely different.


Me:  You know how when you'd come back to school in the fall and just fall back into your group of friends and it felt so natural, and you were just so happy to be back there?  Well that's how I felt from page one of the book.  It felt so good to see Zara and Nick again.  To cheer for them.  To wonder what would happen.  I loved them all.  


The character tho that I really started to like this time around was Issie.  She just really grew on me this time around.  Her kinda of silliness wrapped around a strong girl was refreshing in a book with a lot of tension.


And to comment on what Nicole said - it was hard to see Zara and Nick act some differently together, but I liked that because it brought a freshness to the story and showed their growth as characters.  

Would you recommend this book to a friend?
Nicole: I would totally recomend this book to another person! Its such an amazing book I couldn't put it down.


Me: Of course!!! And I do all the time.  I'm so very excited to see that more and more girls are picking it up.  Actually - very rarely do I have all four books checked in at one time.  The girls seem to pass them around.  As one finishes one book it's passed right onto another.  And when they saw Endure on my desk they went nuts!  Love it :)

Tell me anything else about the book and your opinion of it that you want to share!
Nicole: This book was the right one to end such an awesome series. It really tied up all the lose ends in the other books.


Me: This book had so many unexpected things happen.  Things that made me gasp - on involving Zara that I NEVER saw coming or thought would happen.  It held my interested from the time I started until the end.  

Final Thought: Satisfying ending to an unbelievable series.  I will miss it.
Best stick-with-you image: Hel for sure - all the scenes in Hel - oh and the description of Hel the person :)
Best for readers who: Like action and characters who change and grow
Best for ages: 12+
For the Guys?  No not really but I really wish they'd give it a shot.  I think the action in it might grab them some.

Don't forget to read my review with Carrie Jones.  Find it HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment