December 7, 2011

Book Review: Liesl & Po



Title: Liesl & Po
Author: Lauren Oliver
Liesl lives in a tiny attic bedroom, locked away by her cruel stepmother. Her only friends are the shadows and the mice—until one night a ghost appears from the darkness. It is Po, who comes from the Other Side. Both Liesl and Po are lonely, but together they are less alone.
That same night, an alchemist's apprentice, Will, bungles an important delivery. He accidentally switches a box containing the most powerful magic in the world with one containing something decidedly less remarkable.
Will's mistake has tremendous consequences for Liesl and Po, and it draws the three of them together on an extraordinary journey.
My Thoughts
What a completely sweet and amazing book.  My daughter read this book and loved it, so I knew it was time to just set everything aside and read it. I'm so glad I did.  What a sweet story of love and friendship and hope in the face of circumstances that scream to forget all about that kind of stuff.  Poor Liesl has been trapped in her attic room for over a year yet she is still kind and caring.  Will has had a life of nothing but hardship.  He's been told over and over that he is "useless".  Yet he sees Liesl and is fill with happiness.  Two children that are not pushed down by the life they find themselves in. Instead they fight for what they need to do. 
I love Liesl.  She was a character so full of love for her father and it flowed out onto the people, and ghosts, around her.  But beyond that she was a tough little girl.  When she realizes what is happening her little spine straightens up and she starts to fight the best she can.  I so admired her!
Now Po.  I think Its (we don't know if Po is a boy or girl) story is the one that affected me the most.  So many times I wanted to just hug It.  Especially as Po began to remember bits and pieces about what it was like what It was alive.  Po seemed so lost even though It would never ever admit that! And then to help Liesl.  I just loved Its story! (and yes referring to Po as It did take some getting use to!)
Then there's Mo! Big sweet Gosh I liked his character.  Who else would be compelled to do go after Will because of one simple reason.  I heart like that just can't be beat!
Final Thought: A book that left me with hope and filled with awe of the magic around us
Best Stick-with-you Image: The Otherside
Best for Readers who: Need an uplifting story
Best for ages: 9+

For the Guys? Yes The story of Will would allow the boys to relate to the book

1 comment: