September 22, 2011

Book Review: Hades (Halo #2)

Title: Hades (Halo #2)
Author: Alexandra Adornetto
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends


Summary

Heaven Help Her.

Bethany Church is an angel sent to Earth to keep dark forces at bay. Falling in love was never part of her mission, but the bond between Beth and her mortal boyfriend, Xavier Woods, is undeniably strong. But even Xavier’s love, and the care of her archangel siblings, Gabriel and Ivy, can’t keep Beth from being tricked into a motorcycle ride that ends up in Hell. There, the demon Jake Thorn bargains for Beth’s release back to Earth. But what he asks of her will destroy her, and quite possibly, her loved ones, as well.

My Review
I'm not sure how to start this review because of what of thought of the book.  I'll say it plainly - I wasn't thrilled with it.  I read the first book and wasn't really excited about it either, but I went into this one hoping it would get better.  It didn't.  I don't want to go on an on about it so I'll just touch on some things that I didn't like.  First the relationship between Bethany and Xavier - it was so serious, overly so I thought - especially the ending.  They are suppose to be high school students so it seemed unrealistic.  I also didn't like how Bethany devoted all her time to him - not really doing anything else with friends etc.  That bothered me because I wasn't sure what it would tell young readers.


Briefly about them being angels and their mission. Bethany, Gabriel and Ivy are suppose to be in that place to help change it, but I didn't see much of that happening especially from Bethany.   The whole reason why they were on Earth seemed weak and almost a side note. I talked about them getting more people to volunteer and go to church, but I still didn't get the whole reason.  And I kept thinking - why that town that seems pretty tame.  Why not some place like with more crime, abuse etc?


In the story Bethany ends up in Hades with Jake Thorn.  When she gets down there the story began to lag without much happening for quite a bit.  I wanted more action and less about her missing her family.  And I was thinking the whole time - she's an angel!  Her brother and sister are angels! they should be able to do more! Instead they just seemed to stand around for a long while. Along with that, the description of the people in Hades bothered me.  Many were tattooed, wore dark clothing and had piercing.  To me it felt like it was saying that people dressed like this were "bad".  I teach students that dress like that and have that image! They are great kids.  I struggled with that. 


Ok Ok let me talk about one part that was ok:  the plot - it was slow moving at points but I did like that it really jumped into it right away.  From the very beginning the tension started.  Now it did stall for a while during the middle while Bethany was stuck in Hades.  But as the fight began to release her the action did pick up again.  Over-all the plot was good.  It was more action and less Bethany adjusting like it was in Halo.   That was good.  And how the whole situation was resolved was interestingly done and did hold my interest.  


And I'll address your thought right now- yes I'm a 40 year old reading this not a teen.  I do have a different perspective!  I know that every girl I have in school that has read Halo has loved it.  One girl just now was sooooooo excited that I had the sequel, and she snatched it right away.  That tells me that, for teens, the writing is good and they don't see what I do.  I guess that makes it good for them!


For the Guys?  NOPE! They would not the focus on Bethany and her emotions.


Final Thought:  Sorry but it wasn't for me
Best stick-with-you image: The descriptions of Hades as a setting (not the people) - unique world
Best for readers who: Like a love story with some suspense/tension built in
Best for ages: 12+


3 comments:

  1. Oh sounds like a total pass. I liked Halo but I'm not sure I'm feeling Hades now that I hear more about it. Perhaps one day, I'll get it from the library.

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a DNF for me. I'm thinking I might be too old for it, too, considering my 8th grade girls seem to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, gotcha...not a guy book.

    ReplyDelete