August 30, 2011

For the Guys+Tween Tues=Lunch Lady Fun! (REVIEW)

Tuesday is Tween Tuesday.  The time in the week that I for sure step back and look at those awesome books out there for the tween set - AKA 9-12 year olds.  Today I'm combining it with For the Guys Friday to look at a fun tween boy book.
Title: Lunch Lady and the Field Trip Fiasco
Author: Jarrett J. Krosoczka
Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf
Copy Obtained: From publisher

Summary

Lunch Lady and the Breakfast Bunch are on a school field trip to a famous art museum. But while Lunch Lady is busy taking in all the culture, the kids have caught onto something strange—some of the artwork looks suspiciously fake! Now Dee, Hector, and Terrence are determined to get to the bottom of this conspiracy, but Lunch Lady is too awed to catch on.  Will she snap out of it and come to the rescue? Or will the Breakfast Bunch have to handle this operation alone?
My Review

Because so many of my boys love the Diary of a Wimpy Kids books, I'm always on the look out for more graphic novels to share with them.  When I was offered this one, I snatched it up.  I'm glad I did!

This is a really cute book that makes that great ladies of the lunch - The Lunch Lady- the hero.  Working in a school I just love that! The story is really quick paced, perfect for reluctant readers or any boy who enjoys books that really move along.  The dialogue is cute and witty with some simply goofy tone.  That goofy tone lets the reader know that they shouldn't expect to be faced with any serious issue and instead should just enjoy the fun. And fun it is!  I mean how could a book where the hero uses a fun gadgets like GPS gum, a carrot flash drive and a spork phone, not be fun!  I giggled at each one of those by the way!

The story focuses around the Lunch Lady and Breakfast Bunch (three curious kids), trying to solve an art heist.  As an adult I knew who the "bad guy" was, and I think kids might too but the point of the book is to have fun not to be a crazy detailed mystery.  I think it succeeds.  

For the Guys?  Yup.  Although it's the Lunch LADY the Breakfast Bunch has two boys in it.

Final Thought:  Perfect silly fun
Best stick-with-you image:  The sport phone!!!!
Best for readers who:  Like graphic novels and silliness
Best for ages: 9-12 for sure.  I would recommend it to my 5th graders but not much older.

Tween Tuesday was started by GreenBeanTeenQueen.

1 comment: