August 5, 2011

For the Guys - Book Review: The Cellar by A.J. Whitten

On Fridays I like to take a step back and focus on a title that would appeal to the boys.  I see tons of "girl" book in YA, but not as much "boy" books.  These aren't always pure boy books, but they are books that I think boys could/would like.

Today I have a book review.


Title: The Cellar
Author: A.J. Whitten
Publisher: Graphia

Summary
Meredith Willis is suspicious of Adrien, the new guy next door. When she dares to sneak a look into the windows of his house, she sees something in the cellar that makes her believe that Adrien might be more than just a creep—he may be an actual monster. 
But her sister, Heather, doesn’t share Meredith’s repulsion. Heather believes Adrien is the only guy who really understands her. In fact, she may be falling in love with him. When Adrien and Heather are cast as the leads in the school production of Romeo and Juliet, to Heather, it feels like fate. To Meredith, it feels like a bad omen. But if she tries to tear the couple apart, she could end up in the last place she’d ever want to be: the cellar. Can Meredith convince her sister that she’s dating the living dead before it’s too late for both of them?
My Review

You know when a finish a book, you know you should sit down and write the review right away but you don't?  Well that's what happened here, so forgive me if this review is a little short. I'm actually going to write it using the 5 W's to help me remember and focus it :)

FIRST THOUGH.  Since I'm writing this review on a Friday my typical For the Guys day I want to address if it's for the guys. For the Boys?  Even though the main character is a girl - yes I think so!  It's got that horror movie vibe going, so they might like it!

Who:  The main character Meredith as great.  Strong.  Smart.  Capable.  I liked her quite a bit.  Her sister - not so much.  I get she was going through a very - very rough time but it just wasn't enough to garner any sympathy for her from me.  I think the story would've been better if I wouldn't felt more for her.  And the bad boy next store, Adrien ?  One word - CREEPY! Ok wait two words - and YUCKY.  He was suppose to be, so those aren't really bad words.  Because part of the book is from Adrien's view I do think the boys could buy into this one.

What:  What is this book about? Zombies.  Yup this story is about zombies.  A nice bit different look at them thought.  They aren't brain dead, drag your feet along and moan zombies, but they are still creepy and yucky. Oh and about love.  But mostly the yuckiness of zombies.

When:  When did I cringe the most?   When they ate - and I don't mean the two sisters.  I don't normally cringe when reading but I did here!  It was pretty gross at parts.  That was intended! I showed you what Adrien was really like - and trust me after seeing how he did things you didn't like him!  And if you've got a boy that's ok with that kind of stuff - this book would be great for him.

Where: Where did the story lose me some?  Towards the end when I think I was suppose to feel something for Adrien .  After seeing how cruel and horrible he was, I didn't buy into that much.  It was kind've a hard switch to make.  Blood and gore at one point, to seeing that he wants love the next.  I just found that a bit hard for me.

Why: Why did I like it and why might both boys and girls?  It was a very interesting retelling of Romeo and Juliet (ok that part might not interest boys).  I liked that it was the whole dieing for love bit with a sick little twist.  And I'll admit that little twist was a nice change from all the other stories I'd been reading lately.  It took that kinda over-done love story and freshened it up - ok freshened it up with death and bugs and blood, but still it a nice change!  I think boys would like it for the same reason.

How:  How would I rate it?  I didn't love it.  I didn't hate it.  Like I said it was a nice change and great to see kind've a horror book show up in YA.  I guess I'd rate it a 3 out of 5 stars if I had to.

Final thought:  Zombies - check.  Love - check.  Blood and cringe worth yuckiness - check.  A change of pace - YUP.
Best stick-with-you image:  Adrien's eyes
Best for readers:  Who can handle some graphic scenes
Best for ages: 13+

No comments:

Post a Comment