June 15, 2011

Book Review: Something Deadly This Way Comes by Kim Harrison

Title: Something Deadly Comes This Way (Madison Avery #3)
Author: Kim Harrison
Publisher: Harper

Summary
I'm Madison Avery, in charge of heaven's hit squad . . . and fighting it all the way.
When Madison died the night of her prom, she knew her life would never be the same. Now she has a powerful amulet, a team of rogue angels by her side, and the ability to flash forward into the future to see the shape of destiny. And of course, now she's finally with Josh—a perfect boyfriend who doesn't even mind that she's dead.
But being dead has its disadvantages, too. Madison feels caught between the light and the dark, and between her real life and her timekeeper status. When Madison has the opportunity to get her body back—to be alive again—she faces her most difficult decision yet. If she claims it, she could return to being a normal girl—and have a chance at a real relationship with Josh. But would having the one thing she wants most in the world also mean giving up everything she's worked so hard for?
My Review (could contain spoilers)

I liked this book.  I liked that it was filled with hope - the hope that people can change if we give them the chance.

For those that haven't read this series you need to know that Madison is trying to change the way heaven has done thing for thousands of years! Not an easy feat.  She has succeeded in her plan once, but no one believes it really possible.  She is definitely fighting an up hill batter.  But one worth fighting for.  Heaven is all about saving souls at all cost.  Madison sees a new way to save them, but it involves some risk too.  Thankfully she has some of heaven on her side - Barnabas and Nakita who use to fight each other are now fighting with Madison.

Ok about Madison - I liked her.  How can you not like a girl that wants to save your soul without killing you! She's had a lot shoved upon her, but instead of giving up and just doing what the seraphs want she stands up to them and fights.  I loved that about her.  She carried such hope within herself that I think others could latch into it and go with it. 

Barnabus and Nakita were great as usual.  We get to learn a lot more about Barnabus this time around, and that really does add depth to him.  At least you know more why he does what he does.  And Nakita - she was a lot of fun this time around.  She was also growing and learning more about herself and her cause.  Her whole discussion of having a soul was pretty interesting.  It was also interesting to watch her become almost more human - something from the first book I'd never thought possible.

The plot of the story was pretty simple - save the girl and change her life.  At first I thought the girl they were trying to save, Tammy, couldn't be the only focus but it was.  Of course there are thing mixed in, but her life is what Madison's success or failure hinges on.  The fight for Tammy's life moved the plot along not in action but in thought.  The events that happen in trying to help her present all the questions that Madison needs to answer and all the people she needs to unite.  The plot is much less action based and much more problem based.  Madison, Nakita and Barnabas are hit with problem after problem and how they solve them will either change the ways things have been done or solidify they even more.  That tension was very clear!

One problem - once again I had to remind myself over and over the difference between a dark reaper and a light reaper.  I think I finally got it in the end but I did struggle!!  I think the problem was that I always thought that titles should be reversed.

For the Guys? Maybe.  Not much romance.  If I guy could get into the idea of how is it best to save a soul.

Final thought:  I enjoyed the book.
Best stick-with-you image:  The black wings with Tammy in the hospital
Best for readers who: Don't need constant action
Best for ages: 13+

CymLowell

2 comments:

  1. Oh, forgot about this series! I'll have to pick this one up. Had a student who loved these books this year so, perfect for 8th graders! Nice review.
    Happy Reading!
    Mary @ Book Swarm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the first book and the second one is lying on my shelves. ;) I adore this series, well at least the first book. I can't wait to read the second and third book!

    ReplyDelete