June 9, 2011

Book Review: Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Title: Hourglass
Author: Myra McEntire
Publisher: Egmont USA

Summary

One hour to rewrite the past . . .  For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn’t there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents’ death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She’s tried everything, but the visions keep coming back. 
So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson’s willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past. 
Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he’s around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?
My Review
I havent' read a book in a loooooong that hooked me this much.  I found myself doing what I do when I'm really liking the book.  I kept setting it down and repicking it up.  Now that may sound like I don't like it, but really it means I love it.  I do that (I believe) because I want the story to last, and if I kept reading I'd tear through it and be done with it's goodness way too soon!

Why did I enjoy it so much?  It kept me so intrigued.  What was really happening with Emerson? Who was Michael and could I trust him?  What was Hourglass and could it be trusted?? And then as the story went on - I was completely kept on my toes from understanding what Emerson really could do to how would it all turn out!  And even though I had the "paranormal" part it was done in a way that was new and refreshing.  It didn't seem like the same old story just told with new characters.

About those characters: Emerson was great.  Wow did that girl have a lot to deal with! And she keeps thinking she hasn't or that she's crazy.  What she doesn't realize is she's amazingly strong having dealt with everything and still be there kicking and fighting.  Even though she built up a huge wall around herself, she's still caring enough to step up and do what she knows needs to be done in order to help people she's never met.  Over and over her strength screamed through, but in such a realistic way because mixed within that strength was fear and sadness and loneliness.  Without the full package she would not have been as likable.

Michael was great too, but I will admit that he was a bit more one dimensional.  I liked him, but we were kept in the dark more with him, so I found it harder to connect to him.  He was so focused on wanting to do the right thing for the right reasons that sometimes I wanted to kick him and say lighten up!  I will say that by the end of the story he had fleshed out a ton more for me as he let go allowing himself to seem more human.

As for the plot:  Be prepared for tons and tons of twists and turns!  It's one of those books that you never know how much you can trust.  I love that! And I love how all the pieces came together.  The plot and explanation could have easily fallen apart because there were so many pieces - complicated pieces!, but Myra McEntire did a fantastic job bringing the thread together.  I don't want to say much more about the plot for fear of giving anything away.  There are so many tiny things that bring a-ha moments, and I'm afraid I'll ruin some for future readers!  Just be prepared to have what you think turned around on you!

Side note on a favorite minor character:  I loved Kaleb! Loved him! Him personality just jumped off the page and walked around the room.  And trust me he'd be happy to hear that.  I do hope to see more of him in future books.

*********************************
Ok after rereading my review I don't think I was clear enough.  I REALLY ENJOYED THIS BOOK! It has kept me thinking about the plot and the characters after I've finished.  That speaks volumes for me.  I want to know more - I want to go back into the world of the book.  I want to see what happens in the relationship between Emerson and Michael.  I want to see more how Myra McEntire skillfully pulls together a technically difficult plot.  Ok that's says it better :)

Final thought: A great "time" that was a refreshing and an on-your-toes read
Best stick-with-you image:  The description of Kabel
Best for readers who:  Are looking for something new
Best for ages: 13+

Be sure to check out my author interview with Myra McEntire.

3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to this. And yay for Myra!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I love books with lots of plot twists. You're making me want to read this more than I already do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds great. Can't wait for Book Depository to get it back in stock.

    ReplyDelete