June 13, 2011

Book Review: Die For Me by Amy Plum

Title: Die For Me
Author: Amy Plum
Publisher: HarperTeen

Summary
My life had always been blissfully, wonderfully normal. But it only took one moment to change everything.
Suddenly, my sister, Georgia, and I were orphans. We put our lives into storage and moved to Paris to live with my grandparents. And I knew my shattered heart, my shattered life, would never feel normal again. Then I met Vincent.


Mysterious, sexy, and unnervingly charming, Vincent Delacroix appeared out of nowhere and swept me off my feet. Just like that, I was in danger of losing my heart all over again. But I was ready to let it happen.
Of course, nothing is ever that easy. Because Vincent is no normal human. He has a terrifying destiny, one that puts his life at risk every day. He also has enemies . . . immortal, murderous enemies who are determined to destroy him and all of his kind.


While I'm fighting to piece together the remnants of my life, can I risk putting my heart—as well as my life and my family's—in jeopardy for a chance at love?
My Review

Ok let me start by saying that I didn't dislike this book.  That said - I didn't love it.  I wanted to - I really really wanted to.

Why didn't I love it?  I just felt like I had read the story before.  I DON'T like comparing books to Twilight, but I couldn't help it with this book because there were actual scenes and details that reminded me so much of Twilight.  From the "family" that Vincent lives with to the fact he doesn't sleep to when he was born.  It just felt like I had read it before.  Not that the writing was bad - I didn't find that at all.  The story flowed.  The dialogue was fine - not clunky or anything - it wasn't that at all.  It just didn't seem overly original.

The romance?  I had a hard time buying into it.  Vincent and Kate saw each other once, and they were completely "drawn" to each other.  Yes yes this happens a lot in books and usually I can over look it, but this time it seemed even more to come out of nowhere.  This made it real hard for me to feel attached to. 

What did I like?  I loved the setting.  That part was very unique because not many YA books are set in Paris.  I really did like that.  It was neat to see how that played into the story.  I also liked the character of Charlotte.  She seemed the most realistic of all the characters (kind of like Alice in Twilight my fav character LOL! Sorry to keep comparing!!!!).  I also liked the realism in how Kate is responding to the death of her parents.  My heart went out to her in that regard over and over.  I think the author hit her reaction right in that regard.

Who do I think will like it?  My 7th grade girls will LOVE it.  And after all aren't they more the target audience??  Actually I had a couple of girls pick it up before school got out and they really liked it. 

Again, I didn't hate this book.  I think I just had higher hopes for it that weren't reached.  If you love romance books with some action you will love it.

For the Guys?  Nope.  Even with the touch of action they'll still find it to romancey.

Final thought:  Not for me but others will love it.
Best stick-with-you image:  Paris lit up
Best for readers: Who love paranormal romance
Best for ages: 12+

4 comments:

  1. I felt the same. It wasn't terrible and the writing was good but this story'd been done. But I'm sure the students who loved Twilight will enjoy it--a good rec. when they ask!
    Happy Reading!
    Mary @ Book Swarm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same sentiments as you did. I felt the romance was far too rushed. I'm hoping the next book will focus more on other aspects of the storyline.

    PS: in my book from Netgalley Kate's boyfriend was called Vincent. Did that change after publication?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ARG!!!! yes it was Vincent! I just for some reason gave him the same name as the main male character in Hourglass!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel so sad! I thought this would be awesome. ;) I don't love reading the same thing either. Damn Twillight. hahah! lol.

    ReplyDelete