February 3, 2011

Guest Review: Rot & Ruin

Today I have a 7th grade perspective on the book Rot & Ruin.  I read and reviewed it a while back.  You can find my review HERE, but now for what a 7th grader thought of it.

FRONT COVER
Benny Imura couldn't hold a job, so he took up killing.
In the zombie-infested world Benny has grown up in, teenagers must work once they turn fifteen, or they'll lose their food rations. Benny isn't interested in taking on the family business, but he reluctantly agrees to train as a zombie killer with his boring big brother, Tom. He expects a dull job, whacking zombies for cash. What he discovers is a vocation that will teach him what it really means to be human.  As his worldview is challenged again and again by the lessons he learns from Tom, Benny is forced to confront another horrifying reality: Sometimes the most terrible monsters are humans.
 
MY THOUGHTS
I was honestly not going to pick this book up off the shelf, but I am so glad that I did! My main concern for reading this book was that it would be too bloody and gory. However, the author, Jonathan Maberry did a good job of making sure you knew what was going on without getting into the blood and gore too much.  There was just enough of that to keep the book interesting. The real focus of the book was Benny, the main character, and his brother, Tom's relationship.


There are a couple things that I didn't like about the book, though. The beginning of the book was kind of confusing and a little bit on the slower side. Later on in the book everything falls into place nicely, though. Also, at the end of the book, it seemed like the author stretched out the events a little bit too much. Other than those two things, I loved everything about Rot and Ruin!


FINAL THOUGHT: Awesome book, awesome plot.
BEST STICK-WITH-YOU IMAGE: I can't say or it'll spoil the book!
BEST FOR READERS WHO:  Can deal with and appreciate some blood and gore.
BEST FOR AGES: 13+

1 comment:

  1. This one creeps me out, but in a good way. I like a bit of blood and gore so I'll put this on my list!

    ReplyDelete