November 16, 2010

Tween Tuesday - The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had

Tween Tuesday was started at GreenBeanTeenQueen.  In it we highlight books that would be great for the tween set, ages 9-12.

This week I'm sharing:

The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had
by Kristin Levine

Sometimes I think there isn't enough tween books that really look at racial issues.  I know there are some really good ones, but there is not a ton.  When I saw this one I thought it sounded awesome for showing kids what the country was like at that time.

From Goodreads
The last thing Harry “Dit” Sims expects when Emma Walker comes to town is to become friends. Proper -talking, brainy Emma doesn’t play baseball or fi sh too well, but she sure makes Dit think, especially about the differences between black and white. But soon Dit is thinking about a whole lot more when the town barber, who is black, is put on trial for a terrible crime. Together Dit and Emma come up with a daring plan to save him from the unthinkable.



Set in 1917 and inspired by the author’s true family history, this is the poignant story of a remarkable friendship and the perils of small-town justice.

3 comments:

  1. Your so right-there aren't enough tween books that deal with racial issues. I should look into that and see if I can review some on my blog! They need to be noticed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard about this one. It sounds very interesting. And 1917 is an interesting time period. Does it discuss WWI at all?

    ReplyDelete