November 19, 2010

For the Guys: The Rivalry by John Feinstein

Every Friday I highlight books and authors that are ones boys might really enjoy. I'm not saying girls wouldn't read these books, but they are clearly "guy" books.

 
This week I'm highlighting:

The Rivalry by John Feinstein

This book has my boys hooked! Many of them want to read it.  The football aspect is great, but I love that it has a mystery as well.  John Feinstein has written several sports/mystery books, so I'm hoping the boys that read this will be hooked and read some more of his.

Side note: the football on the cover feels like an actual football!

From Goodreads
Bestselling writer John Feinstein is back with another exciting sports-mystery, this one set behind the scenes at the storied Army-Navy football game.
Teen sportswriters Stevie Thomas and Susan Carol Anderson are thrilled to be covering "America's Game." The Black Knights of Army and the Midshipmen of Navy have met on the football field since 1890, and it's a rivalry like no other, filled with tradition. But this year, the match-up is also filled with intrigue.
For weeks, Stevie and Susan Carol have been spending time at Annapolis and West Point, getting to know the players, and coaches. And the secret service agents. Since the president will be attending the game, security will, of course, be tighter than tight. As the game draws nearer Stevie and Susan Carol can tell that the agents are getting tenser.
But as usual when Stevie and Susan Carol cover a big event--nothing is quite as it seems, and the coaches aren't the only ones calling plays...

2 comments:

  1. I love the Friday For The Boys - I'm always on the lookout for good boy books to recommend to my students, too! :) I teach Advanced 7th and 8th grade, so do you think this one is good for that? Or is it more middle grade?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say it's more middle grade. Touching Spirit Bear might be z good one.

    ReplyDelete