October 14, 2010

7's Up: Cover Thoughts -The Books of Elsewhere


 I love asking my 7th graders their thoughts on book covers because often times they have such a different opinion than me! I showed them the cover for The Shadows: The Books of Elsewhere #1.


I asked if they liked the cover and if they thought it would get them to pick the book up and look at it.

Here's what they said:
Overall it was a no to the cover.

Reasons they didn't like it:
Too girly
Too little kiddish
Too creepy
Too scary
Too boring looking
It wasn't bubbly like Sprite
Looks boring

Reasons why they liked it:
It looked creepy
It look mysteries
It was cool
It looks interesting
I want to know what's happening
I want to see where she is going

My favorite comment was that it looked like a book about Harry Potter's sister :)
I also liked the student that said it look "creppy" instead of creepy!

Ok and here's something really really really funny.  I've loved this cover forever mainly because I think it sounds like a great middle grade book.  BUT I finally saw the cover for what it really shows! My mind always saw the girl as climbing out of a window.  It wasn't until I looked at it with my students that I finally saw she's actually climbing out of a picture frame into the forest! Ok, ok so I wasn't paying attention to detail.  I love the cover even more now!
This book is at our book fair.  I WILL be buying it!

5 comments:

  1. OOo I love the cover even more now too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cover too - and I thought of a window at first, just like you did! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's such a cute cover. Love hearing what your students think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cover of this one... I've been meaning to read it to see if it would be okay for my elementary library.. part of me really wishes I was in a middle school library some days... I love that you do this with your kids! So interesting to see what they say! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cover talk! This one is so magical--very cool.

    ReplyDelete