September 18, 2010

7's Up! First of the Year

Well I've got a new crop of 7th graders and I can't wait to share their thoughts about books and reading!
My hope this year is to add in guest reviews by them.  I think it would fantastic to hear their thoughts on books they've read.  I'll be introducing the idea to them this week. 

But to start off here are their debut thoughts about the new covers for the Artemis Fowl books. 


I showed them the new (left) and old (right) covers for the first book in the series


They definitely liked the new cover better. 

The vote was about 50 for the new and 25 for the old.

Reasons they liked the new one:
Seems better
More interesting

The reasons they gave for liking the old cover were better:
Because it looks like there's magic inside
It looks like a secret

I was surprised the old cover got that many votes because I've always found the old covers pretty boring for what is an action packed book.  I think the new covers are much more eye catching and tell about the story a bit more.  It's great, though, that some liked the old because then I don't have to get all the new covers just to get them to read the series :)




6 comments:

  1. I agree with the kids. I've never read the books, but I know they're about a boy. You don't get that from the old cover at all; it could be about anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! Looking forward to hearing what they have to say about more books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea! I've always wanted my students to post on my blog, but just never made it happen b/c blogspot is blocked on our school network. Your approach offers such a quick and easy way to hear their voices and get them involved. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE these books and I covet a set with the new covers. They are so cool and well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new cover is better. It is more mysterious and you wonder what's it about. I like it. The old, I don't like!

    ReplyDelete