August 24, 2010

Two for Tween Tuesday

Yesterday I got a huge box of books I ordered from Book Closeout (check out that place if you haven't http://www.bookcloseouts.com/).  In the box were two books I'm very excited for.  One, The Brilliant Fall of Gianna Z, I've highlighted on Tween Tuesday, but I though it deserved to be highlighted again.  The other, The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate won the Newberry Honor this year.  I think it sounds really good.  Check out the summaries below.


The Brilliant Fall of Gianna Z. by Kate Messner
Gianna Z has less than one week to collect, identify, and creatively display 25 leaves for her science project—or else she won’t be able to compete in the upcoming cross-country race. As the deadline for her leaf project draws near, life keeps getting in the way. Some things are within Gee’s control, like her own procrastination, but others aren’t, like Bianca Rinaldi’s attempts at sabotage and Nonna’s declining health. If it weren’t for her best friend Zig, Gee wouldn’t have a chance at finishing. His knowledge of trees and leaves in their rural Vermont town comes in very handy, as does his loyalty to Gee. But when Nonna disappears one afternoon, things like leaves and cross-country meets suddenly seem less important.
The Evolution Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly
The summer of 1899 is HOT in Calpurnia Virginia Tate's sleepy Texas town, and there aren't a lot of good ways to stay cool. Her mother has a new wind machine from town, but Callie might just have to resort to stealthily cutting off her hair, one sneaky inch at a time. She also spends a lot time at the river with her notoriously cantankerous grandfather, an avid naturalist. It turns out that every drop of river water is teeming with life - all you have to do is look through a microscope!
As Callie explores the natural world around her, she develops a close relationship with her grandfather, navigates the dangers of living with six brothers, and comes up against just what it means to be a girl at the turn of the century.
Tween Tuesday is hosted by GreenBeanTeenQueen.

3 comments:

  1. Oooo I love them both.
    Probably because I am a bit of both girls.
    The quiet introspective silhouette and the girl with the wild hair that runs around :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, how have I never read either of these? I've heard great things about both-I guess I need to pick them up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness, that Gianna cover reminds me much of Esperanza Rising with the blue background and carefree girl. I tried to read Calpurnia Tate, but I'm not very science savvy, so it did not appeal. But I did quite enjoy her relationship with her grandfather.

    ReplyDelete