Why I’ve Decided to Put Taking Review Copies on Hiatus
When I first got into blogging I was really surprised to see that publishers/authors/publicists sent you books to review. I thought wow that’s cool! And it was even cooler when I got contacted for some. I’ve enjoyed receiving/reading/reviewing books, but I’ve decided to stop accepting them. Here’s why:
1. I am not getting to read all the amazing books I’ve bought. And all the amazing books my students are reading. Instead I’m trying to get through all my review books.
2. I’m starting to avoid reading because I have to read a certain book. It's not that the books for review are bad – they aren’t (NOT AT ALL) BUT I want to read what I want to read when I want to read it.
3. I don’t need review books to have a TBR pile. My current TBR pile of books I own is HUGE! And new books are added every day when I talk to my students and other bloggers.
4. I hate the guilty feeling I have for taking so long to review books.
5. I’m horrible at saying no! That means I end up saying yes to more books for review than I should.
What This DOESN’T Mean for the Blog
1. I’m still going to stay middle grade focus, and I’m still going to highlight authors with guest posts and interviews, but it will be more on my schedule when I can connect with an author.
2. I will read books I want to read and if I love them I’ll showcase them more with giveaways etc. I use to do a month Who’s that Author. For this I picked a book/author to highlight and giveaway. I want to do that again.
3. For authors/publisher/publicists I’ve already said yes to I WILL get those books read and reviewed. After that you can check with me, but know that I will probably say no unless it’s a book I’ve highlighted on a Wish List post. I love working with you, and I will continue to promote middle grade books, but I need to do it out of passion not necessity.
When I decide to take review copies again (I don't know when that will be) I plan on having a much clearer review policy that I make sure people wanting me to review have read and understanding. I've been reading review policy at several other blogs and found some great points to use in mine.