May 18, 2010

Tween Tuesday-The Wish Stealers

Tween Tuesday was started over at Green Bean Teen Queen as away to hightlight awesome books for the 9-12 year old set. AKA Tweens. Any book highlighted on Tween Tuesday does count for the In the Middle Reading Challenge. This week's book is:

The Wish Stealers by Tracy Trivas

Why I think tweens would like it:
The idea is that someone steals the coins out of wish fountain and is cursed by it.  I asked my students if the thought of taking a coin out of a wishing fountian had ever crossed their minds.  Many of them raised their hands.  That tells me that they might also be interested in a book that actually has the character do that!





Here's the book trailer for it.



Summary from Barnes and Noble
Griffin Penshine is always making wishes. But when a sinister old woman tricks her into accepting a box of eleven shiny Indian Head pennies from 1897, Griffin soon learns these are no ordinary pennies, but stolen wishes.

This box of labeled pennies comes with a horrible curse: People in possession of the stolen coins are Wish Stealers, who will never have their wishes granted.... In fact, the opposite of what they've wished for will happen. Griffin must find a way to return these stolen wishes and undo the curse if her own wishes are to come true.

But how can Griffin return wishes to strangers who might not even be alive? Her journey leads her to ancient alchemists, Macbeth's witches, and a chance to help people in ways she never imagined, but the temptation of the Wish Stealers' dark and compelling power is growing stronger. Can Griffin reverse the curse in time to save herself and the people she loves?

5 comments:

  1. I have this book on my classroom library shelf and really want to read it. It seems perfect for tweens. Great teaser and I hope you are enjoying the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. O that reminds me of that film that came out not too long ago. I'm off to find the name.

    Happy Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cover is amazing! I've been wanting this one for my classroom (and for me, of course!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't heard of this one, but it sounds great. Thanks for reviewing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen this one around-it looks pretty good!

    ReplyDelete