April 7, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday

Title: Paper Daughter
Author: Jeanette Ingold
Publisher: Harcourt Children's Books
Released: April 12, 2010

Why I'm interested in this book:
It sounds like the main character is a strong determined girl, and I want to add more books like that to my classroom library.  I also like that it might teach some about Chinese history. Here's the author's website if you want to find out more about her.

From Goodreads:
Maggie Chen was born with ink in her blood. Her journalist father has fired her imagination with the thrill of the newsroom. But now Maggie’s father has been killed, and she is determined to keep their dreams alive by interning at the local newspaper. While assisting on her first story, suspicion of illegal activity falls on Maggie’s father, and she knows she must clear his name. Drawn to Seattle’s Chinatown, what she finds is far from what she expected: secrets, lies, and a connection to the Chinese Exclusion Era. Using all of her newspaper instincts and resources, Maggie is forced to confront her ethnicity—and a family she never knew.

3 comments:

  1. I want this one! It sounds so good, and it looks like I won't have to wait long since it comes out in just a few days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came across this one yesterday & I love the sound of it. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete