April 30, 2010

Friday's For the Guys - Bran Hambric

Every Friday I highlight books and authors that are ones boys might really enjoy. I'm not saying girls wouldn't read these books, but they are clearly "guy" books.
This Friday I'm highlighting:
 
Bran Hambric - The Farfield Curse
by Kaleb Nation
 
My 11 year old daughter (yes I know she's not a boy!) just listened to the audio book for Bran Hambric, and she LOVED it.  Seriously I had to make her put her ipod away.  At school when she couldn't listen, she'd read the book. 
 
Why boys might like it:  There is a ton of action mixed in with some suspence and mystery. The main character is a boy they can relate it. If they liked Harry Potter or Percy Jackson, they'll find some similarities here.
 
From Goodreads
Bran Hambric was found locked in a bank vault at six years old, with no memory of his past. For years, he has lived with one of the bankers, wondering why he was left behind- until one night, when he is fourteen, he is suddenly confronted by a maddened creature, speaking of Bran’s true past and trying to kidnap him. Bran finds that he is at the center of a plot which started years before he was even born: the plot of a deadly curse his mother created…and one that her former masters are hunting for him to complete. Haunted by the spirit of his mother’s master and living in a city where magic is illegal, Bran must undo the crimes of his past...if it's not already too late.  
 
Check out the offical website as well!
Lots of great things at the website.

7 comments:

  1. This is a great feature and a great pick! The boys at my library are loving this one. I already had to play the RA game with this. Which was a little tricky because what they really wanted was the next Bran Hambric book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great book. I think I say that every time I leave a post, but it's true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, just wanted to let you know I've got an award for you over at my blog! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may be a girl, but that sounds exactly like the stuff I read as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for highlighting 'boy reads' because having 2 boys I'm always looking for something they would like to read. Even though one is 15yrs old, he is a picky reader that likes to see boys on the covers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love checking out you Friday For Guys. Great post. I will have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! I think this is just perfect, with such an increase in demand for YA and middle grade books for boys this will be a great resource. I know it's something I am concerned with when my 3 year old gets a bit older!

    ReplyDelete