March 5, 2010

Friday's for the Guys - March 5

Every Friday I highlight books and authors that are ones boys might really enjoy. I'm not saying girls wouldn't read these books, but they are clearly "guy" books.

This Friday I'm highlighting:

Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life
by Wendy Mass

I read this book this summer before I started blogging.  It was very good - actually I haven't read a Wendy Mass book I haven't liked!

Why I think it's good for boys: Well first the main character is a boy :) but of course there is more than that.  The main character, Jeremy Fink, is very likable. On his birthday, the arrival of a box and his search for the keys to open it becomes a search for who he is - in short it helps him find the meaning of life.  I think boys could learn a lot about life, living and being who you are by following Jeremy through his story.  Sometime I think we sell boys short and think they'll only read action/adventure books.  When in reality they might feel just as lost as Jeremy and would be able to relate to this story quite well.  The mystery in the story will hook the boys in that need some action, Jeremy will carry them along.  It's a good solid "thinking" book that we need to encourage boys to read.

From Goodreads
In one month Jeremy Fink will turn thirteen. But does he have what it takes to be a teenager? He collects mutant candy, he won't go more than four blocks from home if possible, and he definitely doesn't like surprises. On the other hand, his best friend, Lizzy, isn't afraid of anything, even if that means trouble now and then.


Jeremy's summer takes an unexpected turn when a mysterious box arrives. According to the writing on the box, it holds the meaning of life! Jeremy is supposed to open it on his birthday, but the keys are missing, and only the keys can open the box without destroying what's inside. Jeremy and Lizzy set off to find the keys, but when one of their efforts goes very wrong, Jeremy starts to think he'll never be able to open the box. But what he doesn't know is that there just might be other ways to find out the meaning of life.

Lively characters, surprising twists, and thought-provoking ideas make Wendy Mass's latest novel an unforgettable read.

3 comments:

  1. I really like this feature. I think a lot of YA books are geared more towards girls and it can be tough sometimes to find more books that boys would find interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this! I want to read more books by guys' point of view- John Green's Looking For Alaska was an awesome example of a boy's p.o.v, and I know there are more good ones out there. It's a different, and new perspective.

    ReplyDelete