February 4, 2010

Thinking on Thursday Review: Blue Bloods

On Thursdays I take time to step back and just share my thoughts on things related to reading. Sometimes these may be my thoughts or thoughts I've gotten from my students. It depends on the Thursday. It depends on the topic. It depends on the week!

This week I'm thinking about the book Blue Bloods. I read this book in one evening!

Title: Blue Bloods
Author: Melissa de la Cruz
Publisher: Hyperion

From Goodreads:
When the Mayflower set sail in 1620, it carried on board the men and women who would shape America: Miles Standish; John Alden; Constance Hopkins. But some among the Pilgrims were not pure of heart; they were not escaping religious persecution. Indeed, they were not even human. They were vampires.The vampires assimilated quickly into the New World. Rising to levels of enormous power, wealth, and influence, they were the celebrated blue bloods of American society.


The Blue Bloods vowed that their immortal status would remain a closely guarded secret. And they kept that secret for centuries. But now, in New York City, the secret is seeping out. Schuyler Van Alen is a sophomore at a prestigious private school. Suddenly, when she turns fifteen, there is a visible mosaic of blue veins on her arm. She starts to crave raw food and she is having flashbacks to ancient times. Then a girl from her school is found dead... drained of all her blood. Schuyler doesn't know what to think.

Could those vampire legends really be true?
 
My Review:
Yes I did read this in one evening.  I'm not sure why I did though.  It was a good book, but it wasn't like wow fantastic crazy good.  There was enough mystery within the story to keep me trying to figure out everything that was going on. I was curious how it would all end. It was clear from the beginning there would be some twists and turns, and there definately was.  A few really took me by suprise.  I liked the characters. They seemed believable especially the main character Schuyler.  She feels like she never fits in, but at the same time doesn't let it bother her too much. Throughout the book her character showed some growth so that was nice to see.  This also happened with another main charcter, Bliss. Her character actually just inched out Schuyler for the most interesting character. I think she's one to watch for in later books.
 
The book did end with as many questions and answers.  I'm up in the air about whether I'll read any more books in the series.  This book didn't wow me, so I'm not feeling the need to run out and read more. I might try the next book, Masquerade, and go from there.
 
Final thought: Nice quick read that doesn't pretend to be deep literature.  Read it for fun.
 
Best stick with you image: Eating raw meat - yuck!
 
Best for ages: 15+ because of some swearing and adult situations

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great review! I've been iffy on buying this one..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the honest review! I have been curious about this book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! You've won an award at http://the-sweet-bonjour.blogspot.com/2010/01/awards-post-5.html x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like I'll like this one. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may even try this one after I read the whole bunch of books that I got on my nightstand!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to get to this series, glad you enjoyed it. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! Ugh, the raw meat thing...I totally forgot about that, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What I love/hate about these books is that you HAVE to read them in one sitting. It is not an option. Each chapter ending compels you to turn the page. It's maddening!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ewwww. I know what you mean they ate raw meat in Tantalize too if I remember correctly :)

    ReplyDelete