January 2, 2010

In The Middle Reading Challenge

As you all know I teach 7th grade and because I teach 7th grader I have a wide range of reading levels and interests to read for.  I do read a ton of YA, but I always make sure to read tons of MG as well.  YA and MG over-lap to a degree, and I have students at both ends of the spectrum.  There are so many amazing MG books out there, and I'd love to get more people reading them.  With that in mind I decided to host a challenge for middle grade books - In the Middle Reading Challenge.  Here's "rules" for the challenge.

1.  You must read middle grade books.  These are books deemed right for kids ages 9 (sometimes 8) - 12.  Harry Potter would be considered a MG book.  If you look for them on Amazon you need to look under children's ages 9-12.

2.  Challenge starts Jan 17, 2010 and ends Dec 31, 2010.  All books for the challenge must be read in that time frame.

3.  Books for this challenge can cross over to other challenges.

4.  Audio and ebooks count for sure!

5.  There will be 4 levels:
      5th Grader: At least 4 Books
      6th Grader: At least 6 Books
      7th Grader: At least 8 Books
      8th Grader: At least 10 Books

6.  In order to be considered for any prizes given away during the challenge you must to an intial post joining the challenge and link on Mr. Linky by Jan 16 (two weeks). 

At the end of the year, and occasionally throughout the year I'll do check-in posts and hopefully have some giveaways for them!

Now I need HELP! I tried to make a button (see below) but I don't know how good it is. Thoughts? And if you know how to make GOOD ones and would like to make one that would be awesome too!





24 comments:

  1. Our class accepts your challenge!
    6th grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to join your challenge, as I have many middle grade books. I''ll join in at the eighth grade level and work on a post for it when I get home from work tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, sounds like fun. I also teach 7th grade, but hardly read any middle grades books (mostly because my students prefer YA novels). I'll be working on my post soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an award for you at my blog: http://ahauntofancientpeace.blogspot.com/2010/01/honest-scrap-award-its-my-first-ever-d.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my goals this year is to read more middle grade books. Thanks for organizing this. By the way, I love the button. It's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Count me in! This sounds like a fun challenge. I like to read Middle Grades books so that I can talk to my students about them. Besides, they are fun to read. I put a button in my sidebar that should send people to this web page if they click on it (and if I did it right.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! I read lots of Middle Grade Books so I am going for all 10. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like fun... and a good reason to get reading that middle grade book that's been sitting in my TBR pile for ages!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in! I am going to try to do them all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad I stumbled upon this challenge! I read tons of YA but never have much interest in middle grade novels. Here's to changing that! Thanks for the challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep promising no more challenges, but this one is easy. I have the Mark Twain list to choose from, as well as the Cybils, and anything I read will help me plan the book list for the next year's book battle. I will be going for the 8th grade level and reading 10. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to teach seventh-grade, too. Now I'm writing full time and leading after-school book clubs. Thanks for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just realized I didn't write an official post, but I'm participating, just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm joining late - just discovered this challenge. I'm a middle grade writer and follower.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is it too late to join? I promise to work hard to catch up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm keeping all my MG reads in the same list as my 100 reading challenge post. Hope that's okay. I've read some great MG's this year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just wanted to leave my link for my first book in the challenge. It's at: http://bookcation.blogspot.com/2010/03/thoughts-on-crooked-kind-of-perfect-by.html
    I hope this is the way to do it! Thanks for organizing this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've got twelve MG books read so far this year! Where should we list them? I have them here on my blog
    http://terrylynnjohnson.blogspot.com/2010/01/100-reading-challenge-list.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome challenge! Middle grade books are my fave, fave, fave!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. OK, I just realized I was a year too late. :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am way late to this one, just found it (I'm planning a Middle Grade Read-a-thon so wanted to see what else is out there). Can I say...awesome! Hope you are doing it next year...I'll be in. Thanks for spreading the MG love!

    ReplyDelete