January 16, 2010

7th Grade Saturday - Book Cover for Dani Noir

I haven't done a 7th Grade Saturday in a while, so I thought it was time for it.  Recently I did a review for Dani Noir, so I thought I'd get their take on the cover. 

Here's the Cover



Here's Their Thoughts:

Looks kinda spooky (said many times)
I like the grey with only one other color
Mysterious (said many times)
Needs more color
Looks French
Different in a good way
Sad
Really sad likes she's neglected or because she's been ditched
boring
Really awesome cover I like the lights

Their thoughts didn't overly suprise me.  I do this without telling them what the book is about, so I just get their thoughts on the cover alone.  I didn't think all would like it or "get" it especially the old movie feel. I did like that many got the mystery part and the sad because there is both in the book.
A mixed bag, but leaning more towards positive of the cover.

Your thoughts?????

6 comments:

  1. I've come over from Books at Midnight to look around your blog. I love the cover, it makes me think of and old black and white movie. Interesting to hear all the kids reactions.
    Books for youths have changed so much since i was young (I'm 59 now so you can see how long it's been). Lots of books with girls as main characters now too. There really weren't many back then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is stating he obvious but it is so film noir, isn't it? Very classic but the hint of clour gives it a modern twist. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the cover with the hint of color and it does look mysterious. I love these posts and hearing their thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this cover as soon as I saw in on the Blue Boards of Verla Kay. Love the polka dots.
    You have a great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this idea. It's probably not a bad idea to have my teens share what they think about covers I'm having them re-do for Teen Tech Week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this idea. Like you I teach 7th and 8th grade reluctant readers. Sometimes it is what we don't say that hooks the kids. Thanks for an excellent idea

    ReplyDelete