December 10, 2009

Review: Fallen by Lauren Kate (ya)

Title: Fallen
Author: Lauren Kate
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers

From Goodreads:

There's something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.



Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price's attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He's the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.


Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce--and goes out of his way to make that very clear--she can't let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.


Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, Fallen is a page turning thriller and the ultimate love story.

My Review:

I really liked this book which kinda suprised me.  I had been reading mixed reviews of across several blogs.  When that happens I usually have to read it, so I can decide for myself.  I went into it cautiously but with a strong hope it would be good.  I was not disappointed.  Right from the start it kept my interest.  The book doesn't give you the whole story - for any of the storylines - at the start.  Bits and pieces are gleamed as you read.  This could've left the reader confused and frustrated, but for me it created a mood of suspense and in a weird way nervousness.  I say nervousness because you just don't know what or who to trust.  There were times I wasn't even sure I could trust Luce.  I had to keep reading to find out!

The relationship between Luce and Daniel was very well done.  I won't go into much about that because I'm worried I'll give too much away.  I also enjoyed the other characters in the story - particularly Penn one of Luce's true friends.  A few of the other characters were a tish annoying, but not enough to distract from the story.  The one part I found kinda odd was that fact they were made to dress in black at the school.  I don't know, but for me that was just an odd thing to have them do. 

As for the ending - yes I was left with MANY unanswered questions, but I knew going into it there was another book in the works so not having a nice neat everythings-tied-together ending didn't bother me.  I will, without a doubt, want to read the next book that is due out next September. 

Final thought: Loved it.  Glad I read it after reading the mixed reviews.  I would've missed a great book.

Best "stick-with-you" image: Every time the shadows were described.  Creepy!

Best for ages: 14+
This one is definately more YA than MG

4 comments:

  1. Yes, yes and yes! This book is AWESOME! Glad you read and it and fell into my category: Fallen fans rock! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also heard mixed things but I still liked to read it. It sounds really good from your description.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I love reading your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So far, I've read more not-so-positive reviews than ecstatic ones. I think I'll have to judge for myself, but I'm glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete