December 4, 2009

Friday's For the Guys: Alex Rider Series

Everything Friday I highlight books and authors that are ones boys might really enjoy. I'm not saying girls wouldn't read these books, but they are clearly "guy" books. This Friday I'm highlighting:

The Alex Rider Series by Anthony Horowitz

I found this about the series at Anthony Horowitz's website.

Meet Alex Rider, the reluctant teenage spy.




When his guardian dies in suspicious circumstances, fourteen-year-old Alex Rider finds his world turned upside down.


Within days he's gone from schoolboy to superspy. Forcibly recruited into MI6, Alex has to take part in gruelling SAS training exercises. Then, armed with his own special set of secret gadgets, he's off on his first mission.


His destination is the depths of Cornwall, where Middle Eastern multimillionaire Herod Sayle is producing his state-of-the-art Stormbreaker computers. Sayle's offered to give one free to every school in the country - but MI6 think there's more to the gift than meets the eye.

Only Alex can find out the truth. But time is running out and he soon finds himself in mortal danger. It looks as if his first assignment may well be his last…

I have several boys in my classes that have read, and enjoyed greatly, this series.  I also bill it as a teenage James Bond.  Yes the books have great action and are fast paced, but I think the boys enjoy them because even though Alex is involved in all this crazy spy stuff, he still feels like someone they can relate too.  All the action in the world won't keep kids coming back for 8 books if there isn't much more going on. 

What have you heard about this series?  Have you read it?  Share your experiences.





2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great set for my nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this series but I did read the Gatekeepers series and like that a lot. I'll have to try this one too.

    ReplyDelete