November 13, 2009

Friday's For the the Guys - Midnighters Series

Every Friday I highlight books and authors that are ones boys might really enjoy. I'm not saying girls wouldn't read these books, but they are clearly "guy" books. This Friday I'm highlighting:

The Midnighter Series by Scott Westerfeld

I read this series last spring and through the summer.  It was AWESOME.  I really only knew Scott Westerfeld from the Uglies series.  I loved that series.  Now I had had the first book The Secret Hour sitting in my classroom library for awhile, but never really paid much attention to it.  It was like all of a sudden I realized it was by Scott Westerfeld, so I should read it.  It was completely different from the Uglies series, but in fantastic ways.  The premise of the series is that every night at midnight the world freezes for one hour.  5 teenagers don't tho - they get an extra hour each day.  But during this hour creatures called darklings are also allowed to roam.  These teenagers end up battling the darklings. 

What's great is that it has much of what boys want in reading - yes action but also a great well designed plot that keeps growing and changing, wonderful characters (both stronge males and females),  a tish of romance that's not the whole story and a story that keeps you guessing the whole while.

I recently read a guest post at Fantastic Book Review where Krissi Dallas talked about interviewing boys about what they like in books, so I'm trying to remember that when picking books for this post.  If you like to read that post check it out here.



4 comments:

  1. I'm going to start this series soon. It's the only Westerfelf books I haven't read yet (except for Leviathan).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this series, but I love Scott Westerfeld and always need more to recommend to boys. Posting about books for boys is a GREAT idea! Especially those junior high boys, I think they're the hardest to get interested.

    You won an award over at my blog! For being awesome!

    -Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this series!
    Scott Westerfeld is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the mention about my blog post - as well as pointing out some recommendations for boys! Love the blog and especially love that you teach 7th grade (so do I!). Middle school is a special age. :) Keep up your efforts on here.

    ReplyDelete