November 20, 2009

Friday's For the Guys: The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod

Every Friday I highlight books and authors that are ones boys might really enjoy. I'm not saying girls wouldn't read these books, but they are clearly "guy" books. This Friday I'm highlighting:

The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod by Heather Brewer

OK FAIR WARNING! I'M GONNA GUSH FOR A MINUTE! I completely love this series! Yes LOVE it.  When I read the first book I was like "Hey this is pretty good." then the second I was "whoa!" and the third: I was about ready to park outside the bookstore then and there so I could get the fourth as soon as possible. Plain and simple - this is a great series. (and I love it if you haven't guessed)

You know what I like? Vlad.  Vlad is real and like-able.  He's not perfect or cool or in control.  He's picked on and messes up.  He doesn't always think, but you know he's just trying to do the best he can.  When the series begins Vlad is an 8th grader and struggling with all the things 8th graders struggle with AND all the issues with being a vampire.  I know middle schoolers, and they have enough to deal with without also having to hide being a vampire.  You really feel for him.

As the series goes along you get to see Vlad grow and mature. He gains confidence in who he is and in his ability to cope with the extra difficulties in his life.  That doesn't mean he has it all figured out - he doesn't.  He still has plenty of self doubt that leaves him scared and uncertain much of the time.  But by the end of the 3rd book, you know he's on the right path and are cheering him on.  I cannot wait to see what more there is in store for him for the last two books.  I know Vlad will be ready and able to handle whatever is thrown his way.

Why boys will like it - a great male character that they can relate too.  He's not unrealistically popular or perfect.  He struggles with all things teenagers struggle with.  They'll also like the humor between Vlad and his best friend Henry.  Plus it's got a lot of action and suspense. 

To learn more about the series and the author Heather Brewer check out her website here





pssssst - if you missed it I LOVE THIS SERIES!!

3 comments:

  1. Well said. I absolutely adore Vlad! He's one of my favorites and a go-to recommend for customers looking for vampire books at the store. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod ROCK!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good books I mad the mistake of reading the third one first, but now im going to read the first, then second, then fourth, then fifth when it comes out. reaaly amazing books

    ReplyDelete