February 16, 2016

Spotlight: The Last Fifth Grade of Emerson Elementary by Laura Shovan

One of my biggest pleasures in life if finding books and sharing them! 

And to me blogging isn't just about reviewing books, it's also about introducing you to books you may not know - even if I haven't even read them yet! 
They look so good I just need to shine the spotlight on them!

Today I'm spotlighting:



Eighteen kids,
one year of poems,
one school set to close.
Two yellow bulldozers
crouched outside,
ready to eat the building
in one greedy gulp.

But look out, bulldozers.
Ms. Hill's fifth-grade class
has plans for you.
They're going to speak up
and work together
to save their school.

Laura Shovan's engaging novel is a time capsule of one class's poems during a transformative school year. The students grow up and move on in this big-hearted debut about finding your voice and making sure others hear it.

This is one of those books that I wish I had thought of writing just because I can see the strength in it!

And I absolutely love the idea that it is in verse.  

If I ever teach 5th grade I will use this book for sure!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment