August 19, 2010

Meme of Reading Questions

I thought I'd do something a little different this Friday and let you all learn a bit more about it.  I found this fun meme on reading questions over at Book Through Thursday. 

Here we go!
1. Favorite childhood book?
    Little House on the Prairie

2. What are you reading right now?
     Soulstice (The Devouring #2)

3. What books do you have on request at the library?
     None.  I don't use the library :(

4. Bad book habit?
    Judging a book by its cover

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
     None

6. Do you have an e-reader?
    A Nook

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
    One or I get confused

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
    Yes - I don't base my next pick on what really interests me as much but I am trying to change that back!

9. Least favorite book you read this year (so far?)
    I really don't know! None are jumping out at me!  Maybe This World We Live In. I was disappointed by it.

10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?
       Before I Fall - LOVED IT!

11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
      Hardly ever.

12. What is your reading comfort zone?
       YA urban fantasy.  MG realistic fiction

13. Can you read on the bus?
      Yes.  I use to read on the subway all the time when I lived in Boston.

14. Favorite place to read?
      My couch :)

15. What is your policy on book lending?
      I have a huge classroom library, so I've really had to let go of worry about books I lend.  If they are very special to me tho - I won't lend them. 

16. Do you ever dog-ear books?
      NEVER!

17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
      Only if it's a book I'm teaching.

18. Not even with text books?
      Of course then.

19. What is your favorite language to read in?
       Since I only know English it would have to be that one.

20. What makes you love a book?
      When it makes me think and when it moves me emotionally some way - even if that through laughter

21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
       Just the simple fact of getting someone reading! I got my sister, the nonreader, to read by talking about books to her a lot.  Finally she took my recommendations and read :)  This is why I recommend books - as a 7th grade English teacher I really feel I need to keep these kids reading.  If they stop now I've probably lost them.  If I've lost them as readers they've put themselves a step behind.  I can't let that happen!

22. Favorite genre?
      Urban fantasy mostly.

23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)
      Historical fiction.

24. Favorite biography?
      I honestly don't read them.

25. Have you ever read a self-help book?
      Yes I've read several.  They all helped to some degree.

26. Favorite cookbook?
      I like cookbooks that churches put out because you know they are recipes REAL people use!

27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
      Before I Fall

28. Favorite reading snack?
      I eat a lot of saltines.  I always have even as a kid.  But I also like to have coffee.

29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
      Twilight.  I loved loved loved the book when I first read it.  Now I can't even stand to see the movies.  It's sad because I did so love it and then all the hype took it away.

30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
      Really about 50/50.  But in a weird way.  Negative reviews don't affect me that much, but when a book gets tons of great reviews I'm usually let thrilled with them.  I think this is because I've set the bar so high for the book that anything would be a let down.

31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
      I may say what I didn't really like, but I won't give out and out bad reviews.  Mainly because I share my reviews with my students.  I know that if I don't like a book it will turn a lot of kids off.  Now I won't lie and say it's fantastic if it's not! But I always try to focus on what type of reader may like the book. 

32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose?
      French.  I just love the sound of it.

33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?
      Canterbury Tales.  I had to read it in college.  The professor was really tough and it scared me!!!!

34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?
      The Bible.  I don't think I could read it cover to cover

35. Favorite Poet?
       Walt Whitman and Robert Frost.  I named my old dog after Walt Whitman.

36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
      zero

37. How often have you returned book to the library unread?
      none since I don't check them out

38. Favorite fictional character?
      Ponyboy from The Outsiders - Johnny too

39. Favorite fictional villain?
      I'm like Quiten in Soulstice

40. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation?
      Quick simple "nonthinking" books.  I read Once Dead Twice Shy on my last vacation and that was perfect for vacation.

41. The longest I’ve gone without reading.
       After my daughter (now 11) was born then my son I stopped reading for a while.  I didn't have time or energy.

42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
      Artemis Fowl  I've tried it three times!

43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
      My 3 year old :)

44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?
      Because of Winn Dixie.  Loved the book.  Loved the movie.

45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
     City of Ember! Yuck yuck yuck

46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
      $100

47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
     A lot.  I'll start reading a book and then skim it, reading the last page (ok that should be my bad book habit!).  Then I read.  It keeps me reading.

48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
      It goes nowhere.  The action stops.  The characters don't change.  It just stops.

49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
      In my classroom they are alphabetically by title.  At home the only arrangement is that all my signed copies are together.

50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
      Most of the books I read go on my classroom library.  If I can't put them there, then I Bookmooch them or give them away.  A few I will keep.

51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?
      I had been avoiding Catching Fire just because I knew it would be quite a ride, but I finally read and loved it.

52. Name a book that made you angry.
      A Child Called It.

53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?
      I didn't think I'd hate it by any means, but I liked it way more than I thought I would - The Pack by L.M. Preston.

54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?
      This World We Live In.  I was so disappointed in it.

55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?
      The House of the Night Series.  My very guilty pleasure :)

1 comment:

  1. Ponyboy! *le sigh* Do you remember the TV series? With Jay Ferguson as Ponyboy? *le sigh* I had such a crush on him then.

    I love church cookbooks too. *high five* On the real people use those!

    ReplyDelete