This Week I'm Thinking About:
Why I Stink at Reading
Ok I'm an English teacher, so many people believe I should be this perfect reader that never gets it wrong. The truth is - there are many ways I stink at reading and do things that "good" readers don't do. Here's just a few.
1. I skip parts or skim. Some people think you have to read every single word. I don't. If I hit a part I find boring, instead of quitting the book all together - I skim til my interests perks up again.
2. Be ready to gasp! I read the ending of the book first. Well ok not first, but by a fourth of the way through the book I usually jump to the end and read the last page. It's always ONLY the last page regardless how long or short it is. The only book I wouldn't let myself do this for was the last Harry Potter book. I wanted it to be a suprise.
3. I can't read two or more books at once. If I try this I get the stories and characters confused. If I start a second book I always have to stop one until the other is finished.
4. If I don't know the meaning of a word or how to pronounce it I keep reading and skip it. I don't have time to leave the story to stop and check it out!
5. I don't remember names of characters. Really! I just finished I Am the Messenger, and I had to stop and really think about what the main character's name was (for the record it was Ed Kennedy). The sad part - his name was said over and over! For some reason they just don't stick with me.
6. Classics? What classics? There are so many "classics" I haven't read! Pride and Prejudice, Little Women, Wuthering Heights, East of Eden - the list goes on and on and on.
So there ya have it. I stink at reading! But here's the deal. I do one thing that over-rules all the ways I stink. I KEEP reading. I read and read and read. And to my 7th graders - that's what I try to get them to understand. They need to just keep reading. Reading will help them succeed. All those other myths about being a good reader go out the window when you just keep reading. It's when you stop reading that you really begin to stink at it :)
Now how about you - how do you stink at reading?